ESPN Dallas’ Richard Durrett dies suddenly at age 38

Jun 18, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-06-18 at 7.37.58 AM

This is horrible news. Richard Durrett, an ESPNDallas.com writer who covered the Rangers for the past several years — and who served as a Dallas Morning News reporter several years before that — died yesterday. He was only 38-years-old. While it hasn’t been officially announced, many people are saying he was killed by a brain aneurysm.

ESPN and the Rangers both issued statements on his passing, which can be read here.

Durett was a truly nice guy in a line of work that doesn’t necessarily require or reward being a nice guy. I met him on a couple of occasions and he was the polar opposite of the sportswriter stereotype. He wasn’t grumpy or cynical. He was funny, but his humor was not the dark or gallows humor you often hear from those who inhabit press boxes. When I, as a clueless newbie, showed up in Surprise, Arizona for spring training a couple of years ago, Durrett was kind and accommodating and showed me around the place to help me get my bearings. That doesn’t happen too often. When you’re a tourist in the press box, you’re usually on your own.

In 2011, after Rangers fan Shannon Stone fell to his death at the ballpark while trying to reach a ball for his son, Durrett wrote this piece in response, thinking about fathers and sons. And, specifically, his own son who was three at the time and is only six now. Give it a read and remember what’s important in life.

Thirty-eight is far too young. Take some time for a nice thought or a prayer for his family who will now have to spend way too much time without him than any family should. And make sure you do whatever you can do to live your life in the present, making sure those who you love know that you love them. Life isn’t fair. Death is less fair than that. All we can do is make the most of it while we can.

1. unclemosesgreen - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Really terrible news, my heart goes out to his wife and children.

• ematusko - Jun 18, 2014 at 2:41 PM

I agree all the way.

Btw, who clicked on the thumbs down? Even if it’s supposed to be ‘funny’ it’s waaay off the mark. Flat out stupid, really.

2. stoutfiles - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:01 AM

By definition death is fair, as it is the great equalizer.

Life is never fair though. Too soon for Richard, and even sadder that a 6 year old won’t have his father anymore.

• texassportsfan2 - Jun 18, 2014 at 11:34 PM

And a 3 year old and a baby on the way…..at least that is what the sports radio station in Dallas (the ticket) reported today.

3. girardisbraces - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Whatever age we are, we are not promised tomorrow, so make the most of today. Rest in peace, Richard.

• aphillieated - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:17 AM

I was gonna say the same exact thing.

4. karlton3 - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:24 AM

As a 33 year old father of a 3 year old girl who loves sports, this hits way too close to home.

5. Jason @ IIATMS - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:30 AM

While I never met Richard personally, I had the pleasure of leading the ESPN game chats in 2010 with him, when the Rangers and Yanks faced off. A truly funny and sincere guy to didn’t try to go bigtime (reporter vs. lowly blogger) on me. It was a great way to “watch” a game with someone while 1500 miles apart.

Thirty-eight is too young. My deepest condolences to his wife and young kids.

6. Eutaw's Finest - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:34 AM

I’ve recently experienced the loss of a family member from a brain aneurysm. She was about the same age as Durrett, also with young kids. I know much pain his family must be going through right now. With aneurysms, there’s no symptoms that anything is wrong until it’s (typically) too late, and in essence, it just seems unfair, especially to a great man leaving behind young kids and a spouse. My heart goes out to the Durrett family for their loss.

• yahmule - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:42 AM

My condolences to your family as well.

7. cur'68 - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Good Lord. 38. He was practically a kid himself. He leaves a family behind, too. They won’t get over this soon. Best wishes to them.

8. Eutaw's Finest - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:40 AM

May I also point everybody’s attention to the ESPN homepage. Do you see the article about Richard Durrett’s passing? All the way down the bottom under the tiny section “Must See.” Poor showing by ESPN.

• nbjays - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:13 AM

At least it’s a little more prominent on the ESPN DFW home page.

• drewy44 - Jun 18, 2014 at 11:26 AM

FWIW, there was a nice mention on SportsCenter this morning. So, the employer did make it nationally known using their time on the airwaves (and didn’t have to).

9. sdelmonte - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Damn.

I’m 45, and I just had a bit of scare that took me to the ER. (Thankfully, nothing serious seems to be an issue.) So this bites close to home. And also reminds me why I say “love you” to my wife every morning when I leave for work. We should grab on to life hard, and never let go.

10. sensiblevoice - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Condolences.

11. sisisisisisisi - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Super super nice guy

RIP Richard

12. youknowwhatsgoodforshoulderpain - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:20 AM

I am beyond shocked. I just heard the news on the Ticket. I pray God comforts his family in this time.

13. dkphilly1122 - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Didn’t really know of him, but god bless his family and the organizations he worked for. 38 years old is WAY too young!! A friend of the family passed away at 16 years old many years ago from a brain aneurysm. They’re absolutely scary. God bless!!

14. wondertwisted - Jun 18, 2014 at 11:10 AM

I worked with Richard for about a year when he was just a cub writer at the Denton Record-Chronicle. He was a good man, a hard worker and a genuinely positive guy — much different than the usual cynical sportswriter.

15. dinodimes - Jun 18, 2014 at 1:29 PM

I never heard of him…was he a gay boy? Sincerely donald sterling

• clemente2 - Jun 18, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Not needed here.

16. dinodimes - Jun 18, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Luis polonia used to get some prime beaver….. and he was career .283 hitter

17. dhar77 - Jun 18, 2014 at 3:30 PM

I believe he had two young children and one on the way. The Rangers have set up a memorial fund for his family info is here http://trsullivan.mlblogs.com/2014/06/18/richard-durrett-memorial-fund/

18. Kevin Gillman - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:38 PM

I didn’t realize he was that young. I am 38 years old myself, and is blessed to just live life. My prayers go out to his family, and his little boy.

19. texassportsfan2 - Jun 18, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Living in Dallas, I have read Durrett’s articles for years. Its always hard to accept when people die young. Prayers go out to his wife and children.

1. H. Pence (2166)