Jun 18, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT
Jim Callis of MLB.com reports that the Mariners have signed No. 6 overall draft pick Alex Jackson to an above-slot bonus worth more than $4 million.
The slot recommendation for the sixth pick is $3.575 million, so the high school catcher/outfielder from California will cause the Mariners to dip into their bonus pool reserves.
Considered the highest-upside bat in the draft, Jackson ranked fourth overall on Baseball America’s list of the class’ top prospects.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)