Jun 18, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT
Jim Callis of MLB.com reports that the Mariners have signed No. 6 overall draft pick Alex Jackson to an above-slot bonus worth more than $4 million.
The slot recommendation for the sixth pick is $3.575 million, so the high school catcher/outfielder from California will cause the Mariners to dip into their bonus pool reserves.
Considered the highest-upside bat in the draft, Jackson ranked fourth overall on Baseball America’s list of the class’ top prospects.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 23
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 26
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 59
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)