Jun 18, 2014, 5:31 PM EST
Jim Callis of MLB.com reports that the Mariners have signed No. 6 overall draft pick Alex Jackson to an above-slot bonus worth more than $4 million.
The slot recommendation for the sixth pick is $3.575 million, so the high school catcher/outfielder from California will cause the Mariners to dip into their bonus pool reserves.
Considered the highest-upside bat in the draft, Jackson ranked fourth overall on Baseball America’s list of the class’ top prospects.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (306)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (121)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)