Jun 18, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT
Jim Callis of MLB.com reports that the Mariners have signed No. 6 overall draft pick Alex Jackson to an above-slot bonus worth more than $4 million.
The slot recommendation for the sixth pick is $3.575 million, so the high school catcher/outfielder from California will cause the Mariners to dip into their bonus pool reserves.
Considered the highest-upside bat in the draft, Jackson ranked fourth overall on Baseball America’s list of the class’ top prospects.
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 33
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 47
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 23
- Jose Abreu is third-fastest in MLB history to reach 30 career home runs 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (163)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)