Jun 18, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT
Jim Callis of MLB.com reports that the Mariners have signed No. 6 overall draft pick Alex Jackson to an above-slot bonus worth more than $4 million.
The slot recommendation for the sixth pick is $3.575 million, so the high school catcher/outfielder from California will cause the Mariners to dip into their bonus pool reserves.
Considered the highest-upside bat in the draft, Jackson ranked fourth overall on Baseball America’s list of the class’ top prospects.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 4
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 30
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 5
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 12
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 101
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)