Jun 18, 2014, 8:32 PM EDT
Via Joe Frisaro, the Marlins beat reporter for MLB.com …
Busy roster moves: Salty coming off DL, will catch Heaney tomorrow. Gregg replaces Jennings. Realmuto to Double-A #Marlins
— Joe Frisaro (@JoeFrisaro) June 18, 2014
Saltalamacchia missed a little over two weeks with a concussion that he sustained May 31 when B.J. Upton dinged him in the catcher’s mask with a foul tip. The 29-year-old backstop had an exceptional April but was batting just .177/.258/.241 across 89 plate appearances in May at the time of the head injury.
Salty signed a three-year, $21 million free agent contract with the Marlins over the offseason. As Frisaro notes in that tweet above, he will catch Andrew Heaney in the 23-year-old’s MLB debut Thursday in Miami.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 68
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 52
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11