Ryan Howard responds to Nickelback-listening allegations

Jun 18, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT

nickelback

Last night in Atlanta during the Phillies-Braves game some fans held up a sign that said: “Ryan Howard listens to Nickelback.”

That’s not an allegation to be taken lightly, so Todd Zolecki of MLB.com followed up with the Phillies first baseman to give him an opportunity to clear the record.

Except … well, Howard didn’t:

Is it bad to listen to Nickelback? I mean, I’m not afraid to say that I diversify my musical portfolio. I didn’t know they could see or hear what … how do they know I listen to Nickelback? I listen to everything. I don’t know if there’s a specific song by Nickelback.

“I didn’t know they could see or hear what … how do they know I listen to Nickelback?” is a pretty spectacular quote. I wish there was video of Howard’s face while saying it.

From now on I think we should all agree to refer to Howard as “former MVP and current Nickelback fan Ryan Howard.” It’s only fair.

1. infieldhit - Jun 18, 2014 at 11:22 PM

You know when they do side-by-side comparisons of a pitcher to comment on his repetition and consistency? That’s like listening to Nickelback.

2. ronnmaryc - Jun 18, 2014 at 11:27 PM

What is Nickelback?……With all that rap crap flooding the radio, why should some idiot or idiots comment on what one does in the privacy of his own self. Howard is a highly paid baseball player who is just starting to get the form in which he was given this over paid contract…………Leave the poor guy alone…….Maybe Obama listens to Nickelback also, say something about that!!!

• dubiousdookowski - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Fit Obama into an article about a baseball player liking Nickelback…Takes true talent and an unhealthy obsession with our President.

3. nomoreliesfortoday - Jun 19, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Seriously, everyone should just listen to Toby Keith, right Georgia?

4. alphonzolester - Jun 19, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Unbelievable. That one song is probably “Look at this Photograph”. I will never look at Howard the same.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3793)