Jun 18, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT
The Giants have been mentioned as a suitor for Samardzija, and a lot of speculation — based mostly on the teams’ needs, not actual intelligence — has the Orioles and Blue Jays interested, but the Royals are new. I guess ripping off two or three great weeks of baseball and jumping into first place makes you a buyer. Imagine.
As we noted yesterday, the Cubs recently reached out to Samardzija with a new offer on a possible contract extension, but it’s doubtful anything will happen there. He likely wants Matt Cain money — something north of $120 million — and the Cubs are highly unlikely to pay that.
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 85
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 16
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 22
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15