Brett Cecil tried to pitch through a groin injury and it went poorly

Jun 19, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT

Brett Cecil; AP

Brett Cecil was available out of the Blue Jays’ bullpen last night against the Yankees after taking five days off to rest a groin injury, but the former All-Star setup man walked the first batter he faced and then allowed a bases-clearing triple to Brian McCann.

He was then removed from the game and immediately afterward told reporters that he’s headed to the disabled list, saying:

It stinks, but I said I was ready to go today, everything felt good, but I also said I don’t know how it’s going to hold up under the adrenaline of coming out of the bullpen, especially in Yankee Stadium, bases loaded. If I can’t deal with that, then I need to get it taken care of.

It’s a little odd that the Blue Jays would throw Cecil into such a difficult spot if his health status was still in any sort of question, but Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com reports that he’d had problem-free bullpen sessions earlier this week.

Cecil hasn’t allowed a home run this season and his strikeout rate is a career-high 12.3 per nine innings compared to 10.4 per nine innings last season, but he’s walked 16 batters in 26 frames to be much less reliable than in his All-Star campaign.

1. proudlycanadian - Jun 19, 2014 at 12:15 PM

We noticed that it did not go well. Cecil was in the game to face left handed batters as Loup was not available due to a high pitch count the previous game.

2. proudlycanadian - Jun 19, 2014 at 12:54 PM

To replace Cecil, Steve Delabar has been recalled after spending all of 2 days in Buffalo.

3. drewzducks - Jun 19, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Poorly? I thought it went perfectly. This slow and steady collapse is happening a bit sooner than I expected.

4. garybrian - Jun 19, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Must be loading up on air miles bonus with all these guys going back and forth between Buffalo and Toronto. Hey got anybody down in a Buffalo that can be a regular at 2nd base?

• proudlycanadian - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:45 PM

There is a decent second baseman in Philadelphia who has no trade protection, but might be willing to be traded to a winning team.

• nbjays - Jun 19, 2014 at 6:35 PM

I sort of doubt that they are collecting many air miles as Toronto and Buffalo are only 95 miles apart by road.

5. tmc602014 - Jun 19, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Is that like the slurpee causing a brain freeze? The adrenaline goes straight to the groin?

6. pete2112 - Jun 19, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Being a Yankees fan, I have to say I’m impressed with the Jays. For the first time in a long time they’ve lived up to their preseason hype. They have an impressive offense and decent pitching. With the Sox, Rays and Yankees having their issues they’ve picked a good time to finally put together a nice start. I have no idea how they’ll do the second half but it looks like it could be an interesting race between them and Baltimore. As much as I wish the Yankees could get back into a race, I have to be realistic that with all of their pitching injuries and lack of consistent offense it’s just not in the cards.

• nbjays - Jun 19, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Actually, they are living up to LAST year’s preseason hype, as all the various pundits, experts and know-it-alls had them pegged for last place (and the Rays for first place) in 2014.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4771)