Jun 19, 2014, 11:19 AM EST
Brett Cecil was available out of the Blue Jays’ bullpen last night against the Yankees after taking five days off to rest a groin injury, but the former All-Star setup man walked the first batter he faced and then allowed a bases-clearing triple to Brian McCann.
He was then removed from the game and immediately afterward told reporters that he’s headed to the disabled list, saying:
It stinks, but I said I was ready to go today, everything felt good, but I also said I don’t know how it’s going to hold up under the adrenaline of coming out of the bullpen, especially in Yankee Stadium, bases loaded. If I can’t deal with that, then I need to get it taken care of.
It’s a little odd that the Blue Jays would throw Cecil into such a difficult spot if his health status was still in any sort of question, but Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com reports that he’d had problem-free bullpen sessions earlier this week.
Cecil hasn’t allowed a home run this season and his strikeout rate is a career-high 12.3 per nine innings compared to 10.4 per nine innings last season, but he’s walked 16 batters in 26 frames to be much less reliable than in his All-Star campaign.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)