Jun 19, 2014, 8:38 PM EDT
UPDATE: Today’s excellent rehab outing was enough for Buchholz to secure his return to the majors. According to Tim Britton of the Providence Journal, his next start will be with the Red Sox. The exact date is still to be determined, but it will presumably be next week.
5:25 p.m. ET: Clay Buchholz struggled in his first minor-league rehab start last week, but fared much better this afternoon by tossing six shutout innings at Triple-A Pawtucket.
Buchholz, who’s on the disabled list with a hyperextended knee, allowed two hits and two walks while striking out five. Before being shut down he was terrible for the Red Sox, posting a 7.02 ERA in 10 starts after having a remarkable 2013 campaign that saw him go 12-1 with a 1.74 ERA in 16 starts.
There’s no word yet on if Buchholz’s performance today was enough to convince the Red Sox he’s ready to rejoin the rotation.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)