Video: Cool walkoff, bro: Nick Swisher hits a grand slam to win it in the 10th

Jun 19, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT

The Indians and Angels took a 1-1 tie into the tenth inning and Albert Pujols did what he was supposed to to: with two men on and two out, he hit an RBI single to right, scoring two and putting the Angels up 3-1. To the bottom of the 10th we go.

For reasons that — until the postgame interviews anyway — are known only to Mike Scioscia and God, Scioscia put Cam Bedrosian in for the save. The same Cam Bedrosian who has allowed six runs on seven hits in five and a third innings while walking five so far this year. Sure, it’s hard to have faith in Ernesto Frieri these days, but how is he a worse option than Bedrosian?

Anyway, here’s what Bedrosian does: walks a guy, strikes out a guy, gives up a double and walks a guy. Scioscia has seen enough and calls in Frieri. Now with no margin for error. Frieri gets David Murphy to fly out to left and then Nick Swisher comes to the plate. And he did this:

Maybe Cam Bedrosian is the future of the Angels bullpen. And, of course, he’s not the one who gave up the slam to Nick Swisher. But why you throw him in the game in that situation to leave that kind of mess for the next guy given how poor he’s been lately is beyond me.

1. historiophiliac - Jun 19, 2014 at 4:03 PM

That picture is perfect. I feel sorry for his bunkmate tonight. HE’S STILL GONNA BE SO STOKED, BRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. largebill - Jun 19, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Have a feeling Bedrosian is heading back to AAA. He is just a year or so removed from TJ surgery, so having some control issues isn’t too surprising. Could be much different later in season or next year, but he needs to throw regularly to get control back and that won’t happen in majors.

3. tmc602014 - Jun 19, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Jeez! I just commented an hour ago about Scioscia not handling the pitching staff well. He hasn’t since Bud Black left.

4. bluesoxbaseball - Jun 19, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Remarkably, Bedrosian gets a hold and a loss. That shouldn’t be possible.

• whatacrocker - Jun 19, 2014 at 6:11 PM

More evidence that wins, losses, holds, and saves are all dumb stats.

5. pinkfloydprism - Jun 19, 2014 at 4:29 PM

I saw a walkoff GS once live…this one. I wish it was HD. We were right on the 1st base side… I might have been able to pick myself out. Oh well… hell of a hit as they scored all or most of the runs with two outs in the ninth! http://m.mlb.com/video/v20059033/houpit-giles-hits-a-walkoff-grand-slam-to-win-it

• rollinghighwayblues - Jun 19, 2014 at 4:49 PM

I think I saw you at a glance! You were the one sporting this jersey today, right?

• pinkfloydprism - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Wow, that looks a lot like the jersey I designed for my team on MLB 13… I called them the dark sides though.

• pauleee - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:33 PM

I did too. Kendrys Morales’, followed by the disaster at homeplate that the Angels are still paying for.

6. yankeesfanlen - Jun 19, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Swish is still a good hitter and Scioscia is still a bad manager.

7. El Bravo - Jun 19, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Swisher sucks.

• 4cornersfan - Jun 20, 2014 at 12:37 PM

The Yankees wish they still had him.

8. infieldhit - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Mark Langston was on the radio broadcast, and it was nice to hear him not hold back in questioning Scioscia the whole time. He said he would’ve either stuck with Smith, or put in Mike Morin, who’s having a good year. Just a weird time to give Bedrosian and Frieri chances to “redeem” themselves.

At least it should be a while before Scioscia insists on returning Frieri to the closer role.

9. janessa31888 - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:22 PM

In general, I agree with El Bravo. Swisher has been pretty bad this year. But I am still thrilled to see a great walk off.

10. thomas844 - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:24 PM

UnBROlievable!

11. thatsnuckinfuts - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Rookie Mike Morin and his change-up is the only reliever the Angels can trust it seems

12. miguelcairo - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Sciocia is a bonehead.

13. jimatkins - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Incredible bullpen management. Been an Angels fan since 1978 and seen a lot of bad managers, but Scioscia has descended into the seventh level of stupidity this year.

Three legends off to Cooperstown