Jun 19, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
The Indians and Angels took a 1-1 tie into the tenth inning and Albert Pujols did what he was supposed to to: with two men on and two out, he hit an RBI single to right, scoring two and putting the Angels up 3-1. To the bottom of the 10th we go.
For reasons that — until the postgame interviews anyway — are known only to Mike Scioscia and God, Scioscia put Cam Bedrosian in for the save. The same Cam Bedrosian who has allowed six runs on seven hits in five and a third innings while walking five so far this year. Sure, it’s hard to have faith in Ernesto Frieri these days, but how is he a worse option than Bedrosian?
Anyway, here’s what Bedrosian does: walks a guy, strikes out a guy, gives up a double and walks a guy. Scioscia has seen enough and calls in Frieri. Now with no margin for error. Frieri gets David Murphy to fly out to left and then Nick Swisher comes to the plate. And he did this:
Maybe Cam Bedrosian is the future of the Angels bullpen. And, of course, he’s not the one who gave up the slam to Nick Swisher. But why you throw him in the game in that situation to leave that kind of mess for the next guy given how poor he’s been lately is beyond me.
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 3
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 19
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)