Jun 19, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
The Indians and Angels took a 1-1 tie into the tenth inning and Albert Pujols did what he was supposed to to: with two men on and two out, he hit an RBI single to right, scoring two and putting the Angels up 3-1. To the bottom of the 10th we go.
For reasons that — until the postgame interviews anyway — are known only to Mike Scioscia and God, Scioscia put Cam Bedrosian in for the save. The same Cam Bedrosian who has allowed six runs on seven hits in five and a third innings while walking five so far this year. Sure, it’s hard to have faith in Ernesto Frieri these days, but how is he a worse option than Bedrosian?
Anyway, here’s what Bedrosian does: walks a guy, strikes out a guy, gives up a double and walks a guy. Scioscia has seen enough and calls in Frieri. Now with no margin for error. Frieri gets David Murphy to fly out to left and then Nick Swisher comes to the plate. And he did this:
Maybe Cam Bedrosian is the future of the Angels bullpen. And, of course, he’s not the one who gave up the slam to Nick Swisher. But why you throw him in the game in that situation to leave that kind of mess for the next guy given how poor he’s been lately is beyond me.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 64
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)