Jun 19, 2014, 10:28 PM EDT
UPDATE: Awful news. Mark Bowman of MLB.com passes along word that Floyd suffered a fracture in his throwing elbow. The official diagnosis is a fractured olecranon. Really tough break for a guy who had a long rehab process after Tommy John surgery.
The good news for the Braves is that they’ll be able to move Alex Wood into the rotation, but their depth has taken a big hit tonight.
9:31 p.m. ET: The Braves announced that Floyd left the game with posterior swelling of his right elbow, which was evident to anyone who was watching. He has been taken for X-rays, so we should know more later.
9:21 p.m. ET: Troubling news for the Braves, as right-hander Gavin Floyd was forced to exit tonight’s start against the Nationals with an apparent arm injury.
Floyd was working on a shutout when he left the game after a pitch to Jayson Werth to begin the bottom of the seventh inning. No official announcement from the team yet, but it appeared to be an issue with his elbow. Of course, Floyd underwent Tommy John surgery in May of last year, so there’s legitimate reason for concern.
Floyd has pitched well since joining Atlanta’s rotation in early May, posting a 2.65 ERA and 45/13 K/BB ratio in 54 1/3 innings over nine starts. The Braves sent Alex Wood to Triple-A earlier this week to get him stretched out for the rotation and there could be an opening if Floyd’s injury turns out to be serious.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 28
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 6
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 21
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)