Jun 19, 2014, 10:28 PM EDT
UPDATE: Awful news. Mark Bowman of MLB.com passes along word that Floyd suffered a fracture in his throwing elbow. The official diagnosis is a fractured olecranon. Really tough break for a guy who had a long rehab process after Tommy John surgery.
The good news for the Braves is that they’ll be able to move Alex Wood into the rotation, but their depth has taken a big hit tonight.
9:31 p.m. ET: The Braves announced that Floyd left the game with posterior swelling of his right elbow, which was evident to anyone who was watching. He has been taken for X-rays, so we should know more later.
9:21 p.m. ET: Troubling news for the Braves, as right-hander Gavin Floyd was forced to exit tonight’s start against the Nationals with an apparent arm injury.
Floyd was working on a shutout when he left the game after a pitch to Jayson Werth to begin the bottom of the seventh inning. No official announcement from the team yet, but it appeared to be an issue with his elbow. Of course, Floyd underwent Tommy John surgery in May of last year, so there’s legitimate reason for concern.
Floyd has pitched well since joining Atlanta’s rotation in early May, posting a 2.65 ERA and 45/13 K/BB ratio in 54 1/3 innings over nine starts. The Braves sent Alex Wood to Triple-A earlier this week to get him stretched out for the rotation and there could be an opening if Floyd’s injury turns out to be serious.
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 14
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 36
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 18
- Jose Abreu is third-fastest in MLB history to reach 30 career home runs 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 20
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)