Jun 19, 2014, 10:28 PM EDT
UPDATE: Awful news. Mark Bowman of MLB.com passes along word that Floyd suffered a fracture in his throwing elbow. The official diagnosis is a fractured olecranon. Really tough break for a guy who had a long rehab process after Tommy John surgery.
The good news for the Braves is that they’ll be able to move Alex Wood into the rotation, but their depth has taken a big hit tonight.
9:31 p.m. ET: The Braves announced that Floyd left the game with posterior swelling of his right elbow, which was evident to anyone who was watching. He has been taken for X-rays, so we should know more later.
9:21 p.m. ET: Troubling news for the Braves, as right-hander Gavin Floyd was forced to exit tonight’s start against the Nationals with an apparent arm injury.
Floyd was working on a shutout when he left the game after a pitch to Jayson Werth to begin the bottom of the seventh inning. No official announcement from the team yet, but it appeared to be an issue with his elbow. Of course, Floyd underwent Tommy John surgery in May of last year, so there’s legitimate reason for concern.
Floyd has pitched well since joining Atlanta’s rotation in early May, posting a 2.65 ERA and 45/13 K/BB ratio in 54 1/3 innings over nine starts. The Braves sent Alex Wood to Triple-A earlier this week to get him stretched out for the rotation and there could be an opening if Floyd’s injury turns out to be serious.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 0
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 10
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 87
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (87)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (80)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)