Jun 19, 2014, 10:28 PM EDT
UPDATE: Awful news. Mark Bowman of MLB.com passes along word that Floyd suffered a fracture in his throwing elbow. The official diagnosis is a fractured olecranon. Really tough break for a guy who had a long rehab process after Tommy John surgery.
The good news for the Braves is that they’ll be able to move Alex Wood into the rotation, but their depth has taken a big hit tonight.
9:31 p.m. ET: The Braves announced that Floyd left the game with posterior swelling of his right elbow, which was evident to anyone who was watching. He has been taken for X-rays, so we should know more later.
9:21 p.m. ET: Troubling news for the Braves, as right-hander Gavin Floyd was forced to exit tonight’s start against the Nationals with an apparent arm injury.
Floyd was working on a shutout when he left the game after a pitch to Jayson Werth to begin the bottom of the seventh inning. No official announcement from the team yet, but it appeared to be an issue with his elbow. Of course, Floyd underwent Tommy John surgery in May of last year, so there’s legitimate reason for concern.
Floyd has pitched well since joining Atlanta’s rotation in early May, posting a 2.65 ERA and 45/13 K/BB ratio in 54 1/3 innings over nine starts. The Braves sent Alex Wood to Triple-A earlier this week to get him stretched out for the rotation and there could be an opening if Floyd’s injury turns out to be serious.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)