Jun 19, 2014, 10:28 PM EDT
UPDATE: Awful news. Mark Bowman of MLB.com passes along word that Floyd suffered a fracture in his throwing elbow. The official diagnosis is a fractured olecranon. Really tough break for a guy who had a long rehab process after Tommy John surgery.
The good news for the Braves is that they’ll be able to move Alex Wood into the rotation, but their depth has taken a big hit tonight.
9:31 p.m. ET: The Braves announced that Floyd left the game with posterior swelling of his right elbow, which was evident to anyone who was watching. He has been taken for X-rays, so we should know more later.
9:21 p.m. ET: Troubling news for the Braves, as right-hander Gavin Floyd was forced to exit tonight’s start against the Nationals with an apparent arm injury.
Floyd was working on a shutout when he left the game after a pitch to Jayson Werth to begin the bottom of the seventh inning. No official announcement from the team yet, but it appeared to be an issue with his elbow. Of course, Floyd underwent Tommy John surgery in May of last year, so there’s legitimate reason for concern.
Floyd has pitched well since joining Atlanta’s rotation in early May, posting a 2.65 ERA and 45/13 K/BB ratio in 54 1/3 innings over nine starts. The Braves sent Alex Wood to Triple-A earlier this week to get him stretched out for the rotation and there could be an opening if Floyd’s injury turns out to be serious.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 39
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 25
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 77
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)