Jun 19, 2014, 7:19 PM EDT
The Pirates defeated the Reds in 12 innings this afternoon at PNC Park in Pittsburgh, but Jason Grilli was the reason the game went to extra innings after he gave up a game-tying solo homer to Devin Mesoraco in the top of the ninth inning. Pirates manager Clint Hurdle was asked about Grilli’s status as the team’s closer after the game and he indicated that a change could be coming soon.
While today’s blown save was Grilli’s first since April 20, he also served up the game-winning home run on Tuesday night and has allowed five runs on eight hits and five walks over 6 2/3 innings this month. Perhaps most alarmingly, he hasn’t struck out a batter in his last six appearances, which includes 23 batters faced. The 37-year-old right-hander has a 4.34 ERA and 17/10 K/BB ratio over 18 2/3 innings overall this season.
Mark Melancon was solid as the fill-in closer when Grilli was sidelined from late-April to late-May with a strained oblique, so Hurdle could turn to him again amid the struggles. Tony Watson, who owns a dominant 0.81 ERA and 41/8 K/BB ratio over 33 innings, is another option for the gig.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 298
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 39
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 39
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (298)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)