Jun 19, 2014, 7:19 PM EDT
The Pirates defeated the Reds in 12 innings this afternoon at PNC Park in Pittsburgh, but Jason Grilli was the reason the game went to extra innings after he gave up a game-tying solo homer to Devin Mesoraco in the top of the ninth inning. Pirates manager Clint Hurdle was asked about Grilli’s status as the team’s closer after the game and he indicated that a change could be coming soon.
While today’s blown save was Grilli’s first since April 20, he also served up the game-winning home run on Tuesday night and has allowed five runs on eight hits and five walks over 6 2/3 innings this month. Perhaps most alarmingly, he hasn’t struck out a batter in his last six appearances, which includes 23 batters faced. The 37-year-old right-hander has a 4.34 ERA and 17/10 K/BB ratio over 18 2/3 innings overall this season.
Mark Melancon was solid as the fill-in closer when Grilli was sidelined from late-April to late-May with a strained oblique, so Hurdle could turn to him again amid the struggles. Tony Watson, who owns a dominant 0.81 ERA and 41/8 K/BB ratio over 33 innings, is another option for the gig.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 5
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 8
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 7
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 4
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 31
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)