Jun 19, 2014, 7:19 PM EST
The Pirates defeated the Reds in 12 innings this afternoon at PNC Park in Pittsburgh, but Jason Grilli was the reason the game went to extra innings after he gave up a game-tying solo homer to Devin Mesoraco in the top of the ninth inning. Pirates manager Clint Hurdle was asked about Grilli’s status as the team’s closer after the game and he indicated that a change could be coming soon.
While today’s blown save was Grilli’s first since April 20, he also served up the game-winning home run on Tuesday night and has allowed five runs on eight hits and five walks over 6 2/3 innings this month. Perhaps most alarmingly, he hasn’t struck out a batter in his last six appearances, which includes 23 batters faced. The 37-year-old right-hander has a 4.34 ERA and 17/10 K/BB ratio over 18 2/3 innings overall this season.
Mark Melancon was solid as the fill-in closer when Grilli was sidelined from late-April to late-May with a strained oblique, so Hurdle could turn to him again amid the struggles. Tony Watson, who owns a dominant 0.81 ERA and 41/8 K/BB ratio over 33 innings, is another option for the gig.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 30
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 30
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 71
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)