Jun 19, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Padres second baseman Jedd Gyorko was able to shed the cast and walking boot from his right foot on Wednesday, but his rehab from plantar fasciitis took another frustrating turn today.
According to Corey Brock and Will Laws of MLB.com, Gyorko had to put the put the cast and walking boot right back on today after tests showed that he hasn’t made enough improvement. His status hangs in limbo as a result.
“It’s similar to the first time. We’re planning on waiting a week and then we’ll look at it again,” Gyorko said. “Until then, we’re in a waiting pattern again.”
The Padres placed the second baseman on the disabled list on June 6, retroactive to June 4. In terms of calling this a setback, Gyorko wasn’t so sure — mostly because there’s no timetable, even a provisional one, that he or the Padres medical staff are using as a guide.
Gyorko showed some promise as a rookie last season by amassing 23 home runs in 125 games, but he was hitting just .162 with five homers and a .482 OPS through 56 games this season prior to landing on the disabled list earlier this month. The 25-year-old signed a six-year, $35 million extension with the Padres in April.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)