Jun 19, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Padres second baseman Jedd Gyorko was able to shed the cast and walking boot from his right foot on Wednesday, but his rehab from plantar fasciitis took another frustrating turn today.
According to Corey Brock and Will Laws of MLB.com, Gyorko had to put the put the cast and walking boot right back on today after tests showed that he hasn’t made enough improvement. His status hangs in limbo as a result.
“It’s similar to the first time. We’re planning on waiting a week and then we’ll look at it again,” Gyorko said. “Until then, we’re in a waiting pattern again.”
The Padres placed the second baseman on the disabled list on June 6, retroactive to June 4. In terms of calling this a setback, Gyorko wasn’t so sure — mostly because there’s no timetable, even a provisional one, that he or the Padres medical staff are using as a guide.
Gyorko showed some promise as a rookie last season by amassing 23 home runs in 125 games, but he was hitting just .162 with five homers and a .482 OPS through 56 games this season prior to landing on the disabled list earlier this month. The 25-year-old signed a six-year, $35 million extension with the Padres in April.
- Who really owns a home run ball? 56
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 127
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Ryan Zimmerman is Mr. Walk-Off (and the numbers to prove it) 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)