Jun 19, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Padres second baseman Jedd Gyorko was able to shed the cast and walking boot from his right foot on Wednesday, but his rehab from plantar fasciitis took another frustrating turn today.
According to Corey Brock and Will Laws of MLB.com, Gyorko had to put the put the cast and walking boot right back on today after tests showed that he hasn’t made enough improvement. His status hangs in limbo as a result.
“It’s similar to the first time. We’re planning on waiting a week and then we’ll look at it again,” Gyorko said. “Until then, we’re in a waiting pattern again.”
The Padres placed the second baseman on the disabled list on June 6, retroactive to June 4. In terms of calling this a setback, Gyorko wasn’t so sure — mostly because there’s no timetable, even a provisional one, that he or the Padres medical staff are using as a guide.
Gyorko showed some promise as a rookie last season by amassing 23 home runs in 125 games, but he was hitting just .162 with five homers and a .482 OPS through 56 games this season prior to landing on the disabled list earlier this month. The 25-year-old signed a six-year, $35 million extension with the Padres in April.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 3
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 30
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 17
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 14
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 30
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)