Jun 19, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
Not a real one of course, though that would be awesome. Rather, a lineup merry-go-round in order to accommodate Bryce Harper, Ryan Zimmerman and Anthony Rendon once Harper returns from the DL. Here’s Adam Kilgore of the Post, relaying what Williams now says his plan is:
Zimmerman will move between left field, first base and third base; Harper could see starts at all three outfield positions; and Rendon will play both third base and second base. Williams would use the versatility to create advantageous match-ups and to give players rest. Under that scenario, center fielder Denard Span, right fielder Jayson Werth and first baseman Adam LaRoche would all receive occasional days off.
This is a change from his earlier plan, which was to have Harper play left, to move Anthony Rendon to second base and to move Danny Espinosa to the bench.
It’s Williams’ team, so he can obviously do whatever he wants. And his plan — the more elaborate one — may maximize his ability to rest guys and play the hot hand. One wonders, though, whether a first-year manager will have both the will and ability to carry through with a plan that moves a lot of veterans around and makes them frequently change positions and take days off. If the Nats keep winning, sure, easy. If not, that is often a recipe for grumbling players.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)