Jun 19, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Not a real one of course, though that would be awesome. Rather, a lineup merry-go-round in order to accommodate Bryce Harper, Ryan Zimmerman and Anthony Rendon once Harper returns from the DL. Here’s Adam Kilgore of the Post, relaying what Williams now says his plan is:
Zimmerman will move between left field, first base and third base; Harper could see starts at all three outfield positions; and Rendon will play both third base and second base. Williams would use the versatility to create advantageous match-ups and to give players rest. Under that scenario, center fielder Denard Span, right fielder Jayson Werth and first baseman Adam LaRoche would all receive occasional days off.
This is a change from his earlier plan, which was to have Harper play left, to move Anthony Rendon to second base and to move Danny Espinosa to the bench.
It’s Williams’ team, so he can obviously do whatever he wants. And his plan — the more elaborate one — may maximize his ability to rest guys and play the hot hand. One wonders, though, whether a first-year manager will have both the will and ability to carry through with a plan that moves a lot of veterans around and makes them frequently change positions and take days off. If the Nats keep winning, sure, easy. If not, that is often a recipe for grumbling players.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (107)