Jun 19, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
Jim Callis of MLB.com reports that the Mets and first-round draft pick Michael Conforto have agreed to $2.97 million bonus that’s the exact slot recommendation for the 10th overall pick.
Baseball America ranked Conforto as the eighth-best prospect in the draft class after the 21-year-old outfielder hit .345 with seven homers, more walks (55) than strikeouts (38), and a 1.050 OPS in 59 games for Oregon State this season.
He’s purely a corner outfielder and may not even be much of an asset there, so the Mets are obviously banking on Conforto developing more power than he showed this year. Of course, a .443 on-base percentage in three seasons versus Pac-10 competition is pretty damn good no matter the power it comes with.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 54
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 65
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)