Jun 19, 2014, 4:20 PM EST
Jim Callis of MLB.com reports that the Mets and first-round draft pick Michael Conforto have agreed to $2.97 million bonus that’s the exact slot recommendation for the 10th overall pick.
Baseball America ranked Conforto as the eighth-best prospect in the draft class after the 21-year-old outfielder hit .345 with seven homers, more walks (55) than strikeouts (38), and a 1.050 OPS in 59 games for Oregon State this season.
He’s purely a corner outfielder and may not even be much of an asset there, so the Mets are obviously banking on Conforto developing more power than he showed this year. Of course, a .443 on-base percentage in three seasons versus Pac-10 competition is pretty damn good no matter the power it comes with.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 276
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (276)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)