Jun 19, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
Jim Callis of MLB.com reports that the Mets and first-round draft pick Michael Conforto have agreed to $2.97 million bonus that’s the exact slot recommendation for the 10th overall pick.
Baseball America ranked Conforto as the eighth-best prospect in the draft class after the 21-year-old outfielder hit .345 with seven homers, more walks (55) than strikeouts (38), and a 1.050 OPS in 59 games for Oregon State this season.
He’s purely a corner outfielder and may not even be much of an asset there, so the Mets are obviously banking on Conforto developing more power than he showed this year. Of course, a .443 on-base percentage in three seasons versus Pac-10 competition is pretty damn good no matter the power it comes with.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 338
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 51
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (338)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (134)