Jun 19, 2014, 4:20 PM EST
Jim Callis of MLB.com reports that the Mets and first-round draft pick Michael Conforto have agreed to $2.97 million bonus that’s the exact slot recommendation for the 10th overall pick.
Baseball America ranked Conforto as the eighth-best prospect in the draft class after the 21-year-old outfielder hit .345 with seven homers, more walks (55) than strikeouts (38), and a 1.050 OPS in 59 games for Oregon State this season.
He’s purely a corner outfielder and may not even be much of an asset there, so the Mets are obviously banking on Conforto developing more power than he showed this year. Of course, a .443 on-base percentage in three seasons versus Pac-10 competition is pretty damn good no matter the power it comes with.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)