Jun 19, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
Cody Asche has been out for a month with a hamstring injury, but the Phillies are expected to activate the third baseman from the disabled list Friday.
Asche showed that he’s ready by going 5-for-6 with a home run in two minor-league rehab games at Triple-A. Before the injury he hit .258 with four homers and a .771 OPS in 40 games, improving upon his rookie OPS by 80 points.
He’ll resume starting every day at third base for Philadelphia, which has been using Reid Brignac as the primary fill-in.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 82
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 13
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 34
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 40
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 350
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (350)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (185)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)