Jun 19, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
Cody Asche has been out for a month with a hamstring injury, but the Phillies are expected to activate the third baseman from the disabled list Friday.
Asche showed that he’s ready by going 5-for-6 with a home run in two minor-league rehab games at Triple-A. Before the injury he hit .258 with four homers and a .771 OPS in 40 games, improving upon his rookie OPS by 80 points.
He’ll resume starting every day at third base for Philadelphia, which has been using Reid Brignac as the primary fill-in.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)