Jun 19, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
According to Wilson the Padres will call up Triple-A corner outfielder/first baseman Jake Goebbert to replace Alonso, who’s hit just .210 with five homers and a .591 OPS in 69 games this season. Alonso’s bat has simply never developed like the Padres hoped when they acquired him from the Reds for Mat Latos in December of 2011.
He’s now a 27-year-old career .266 hitter with a .714, and while that’s a lot better than it looks once you account for pitcher-friendly Petco Park his average of nine home runs per 150 games just doesn’t cut it at first base.
Goebbert, meanwhile, is a 26-year-old career minor leaguer with a modest .437 slugging percentage in 131 total games at Triple-A, although that includes much better numbers there this season. San Diego acquired him from Oakland last month in exchange for Kyle Blanks. He’s hardly a high-upside prospect, but it’ll be interesting to see whether the Padres stick with Goebbert for a while if he hits right away.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $30,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Thursday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $5,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 16
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 11
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 96
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (132)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)