Jun 19, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
According to Wilson the Padres will call up Triple-A corner outfielder/first baseman Jake Goebbert to replace Alonso, who’s hit just .210 with five homers and a .591 OPS in 69 games this season. Alonso’s bat has simply never developed like the Padres hoped when they acquired him from the Reds for Mat Latos in December of 2011.
He’s now a 27-year-old career .266 hitter with a .714, and while that’s a lot better than it looks once you account for pitcher-friendly Petco Park his average of nine home runs per 150 games just doesn’t cut it at first base.
Goebbert, meanwhile, is a 26-year-old career minor leaguer with a modest .437 slugging percentage in 131 total games at Triple-A, although that includes much better numbers there this season. San Diego acquired him from Oakland last month in exchange for Kyle Blanks. He’s hardly a high-upside prospect, but it’ll be interesting to see whether the Padres stick with Goebbert for a while if he hits right away.
‘s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $30,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Thursday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $5,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 14
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)