Jun 20, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
In a column published on Wednesday, Newsday’s David Lennon wrote that Yankees GM Brian Cashman expects to make a trade in the next few weeks. The Yankees enter Friday night’s action at 38-33 in second place in a mediocre AL East. They rank 10th in the American League in team OPS, seventh in rotation ERA, and 10th in bullpen ERA.
Lennon writes that the rotation is the area most likely to be upgraded, and the Yankees might be willing to part with prospects to do it. Lennon suggests that the club could make J.R. Murphy, Gary Sanchez, and Rob Refsnyder available in their quest for a starter. Lennon adds that Cubs pitchers Jeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel might entice the Yankees.
Cashman told the media that CC Sabathia might not be ready to return until August. The Yankees’ rotation presently includes superstar Masahiro Tanaka who is having a ridiculous season (11-1 with a 1.99 ERA), but also features 39-year-old Hiroki Kuroda with a 4.32 ERA, Vidal Nuno (5.90), rookie Chase Whitley, and swingman David Phelps.
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 3
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 10
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 35
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)