Jun 20, 2014, 6:55 PM EST
Per Bob Nightengale of USA TODAY, Phillies starter Cliff Lee threw a bullpen on Friday evening. The lefty says he feels better, but that something is “still there“, referring to the discomfort in his left elbow. Lee’s goal is to return before the All-Star break, according to Jim Salisbury of CSN Philly.
Lee, 35, posted a 3.18 ERA with a 61/9 K/BB ratio in 68 innings for the Phillies. He was believed to be the Phillies’ best trade chip prior to the injury, but he is earning $25 million both in 2014 and ’15, and has a $27.5 million club option with a $12.5 million buyout, so the Phillies would have had to eat a significant portion of his remaining salary. Now, the Phillies hope he can return and put on a good show leading up to the August 31 waiver deadline or contribute to an improbable playoff run in a weak NL East.
Lee said last September that he plans to retire when his contract runs out.
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 16
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 179
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 103
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 34
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (200)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)