Jun 20, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
Outfielder Grady Sizemore, designated for assignment by the Red Sox on Tuesday and released the next day, has cleared waivers according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. Sizemore is now a free agent, and he is already drawing interest from other clubs. Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports that the Phillies are one of several teams expressing interest in the nine-year veteran.
Sizemore, 31, made his return to the big leagues after a two-year layoff due to injuries. He got off to a hot start with the Red Sox, posting a .966 OPS over his first ten games. Between April 15 and June 15, however, Sizemore mustered a meager .187/.263/.267 with no home runs and 11 RBI in 167 plate appearances.
The Phillies don’t have room for Sizemore in the outfield currently, with Domonic Brown in left field, Ben Revere in center, and Marlon Byrd in right with John Mayberry, Jr. serving as the fourth outfielder. However, if the Phillies fall behind in the NL East over the next month, it’s likely they would explore trading Byrd and/or Mayberry, which would open up a spot for Sizemore. CSN Philly’s Jim Salisbury recently reported that the Yankees and Red Sox had scouts at Phillies games looking at Mayberry.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Friday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 14
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 21
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 39
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)