Jun 20, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
Outfielder Grady Sizemore, designated for assignment by the Red Sox on Tuesday and released the next day, has cleared waivers according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. Sizemore is now a free agent, and he is already drawing interest from other clubs. Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports that the Phillies are one of several teams expressing interest in the nine-year veteran.
Sizemore, 31, made his return to the big leagues after a two-year layoff due to injuries. He got off to a hot start with the Red Sox, posting a .966 OPS over his first ten games. Between April 15 and June 15, however, Sizemore mustered a meager .187/.263/.267 with no home runs and 11 RBI in 167 plate appearances.
The Phillies don’t have room for Sizemore in the outfield currently, with Domonic Brown in left field, Ben Revere in center, and Marlon Byrd in right with John Mayberry, Jr. serving as the fourth outfielder. However, if the Phillies fall behind in the NL East over the next month, it’s likely they would explore trading Byrd and/or Mayberry, which would open up a spot for Sizemore. CSN Philly’s Jim Salisbury recently reported that the Yankees and Red Sox had scouts at Phillies games looking at Mayberry.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Friday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 22
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 39
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 23
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)