Jun 20, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
Outfielder Grady Sizemore, designated for assignment by the Red Sox on Tuesday and released the next day, has cleared waivers according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. Sizemore is now a free agent, and he is already drawing interest from other clubs. Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports that the Phillies are one of several teams expressing interest in the nine-year veteran.
Sizemore, 31, made his return to the big leagues after a two-year layoff due to injuries. He got off to a hot start with the Red Sox, posting a .966 OPS over his first ten games. Between April 15 and June 15, however, Sizemore mustered a meager .187/.263/.267 with no home runs and 11 RBI in 167 plate appearances.
The Phillies don’t have room for Sizemore in the outfield currently, with Domonic Brown in left field, Ben Revere in center, and Marlon Byrd in right with John Mayberry, Jr. serving as the fourth outfielder. However, if the Phillies fall behind in the NL East over the next month, it’s likely they would explore trading Byrd and/or Mayberry, which would open up a spot for Sizemore. CSN Philly’s Jim Salisbury recently reported that the Yankees and Red Sox had scouts at Phillies games looking at Mayberry.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Friday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)