Jun 20, 2014, 5:03 PM EDT
On Wednesday David Ortiz whined about not being awarded a hit on a play during the Red Sox-Twins game. It’s not the first time he’s done this, and after that game he talked specifically about how the official scorers in Boston displease him because they don’t do him a solid now and then as a hometown ballplayer.
Today Joe Torre, in his capacity as Major League Baseball Executive Vice President for Baseball Operations, issued a statement telling him, somewhat kindly, to stuff it:
“Official scorers have a job to do, and by their very nature, their decisions don’t make everyone happy. But everyone in our game deserves respect. I hope that David will meet that standard going forward, because I don’t share the same views that he expressed.
“Official scorers should never give any benefit of the doubt to the home team. We want their best judgment, based on the rules. We have a process to review the decisions that our scorers make. Even when there are inevitable disagreements, we expect everybody to act professionally and respect the game and the integrity of our scorers.”
In other words: quit your crying, David.
Jul 27, 2015, 9:22 PM EDT
The Astros acquired Scott Kazmir from the Athletics last week, but they are still thinking big as they make a push for the postseason.
Jul 27, 2015, 8:49 PM EDT
Tolleson is available for tonight’s game against the Yankees.
Jul 27, 2015, 8:01 PM EDT
Greene’s 6.72 ERA is the highest among all MLB pitchers with at least 80 innings pitched.
Jul 27, 2015, 7:08 PM EDT
Weaver has been out since July 20 with left hip inflammation.
Jul 27, 2015, 6:21 PM EDT
Clippard and Jeurys Familia should give the Mets a potent late-inning combo.
Jul 27, 2015, 6:14 PM EDT
Hamstring and calf injuries have limited Victorino to just 33 games this season.
Jul 27, 2015, 5:41 PM EDT
For Hamels to approve a trade there, however, the expression of interest would have to be mutual.
Jul 27, 2015, 4:53 PM EDT
He’s officially a free agent.
Jul 27, 2015, 4:10 PM EDT
He’ll face Toronto.
Jul 27, 2015, 3:04 PM EDT
Strasburg is coming back from a strained oblique muscle.
Jul 27, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT
Could be a prank. Part of me actually hopes it is because it’d be hilarious. But it could just be a new way of breakin’ a scoop.
Jul 27, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT
AT&T Park was tops last year. Maybe those Soylent Green burgers they’re noted for aren’t as vegetarian-friendly as we thought?
Jul 27, 2015, 1:08 PM EDT
And it isn’t a title he gave himself.
Jul 27, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
He was having a fantastic first half before the injury.
Jul 27, 2015, 11:11 AM EDT
Never in our Wildest Dreams would we have thought the Astros would be in the playoffs this year. But it could happen now.
Jul 27, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
It “fell apart near the finish line.”
Jul 27, 2015, 10:39 AM EDT
Lordy, lordy look who’s 40! And still playing!
Jul 27, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Interested teams include the Yankees, Mets, and Nationals
Jul 27, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
Lind mashes righties. And hasn’t been too terribly against lefties either, for that matter.
Jul 27, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Murphy is having a nice rebound year.
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 16
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 15
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 41
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- Zack Greinke’s scoreless innings streak ends at 45 2/3 7
- Royals acquire ace Johnny Cueto from the Reds 71
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)