Jun 20, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
The Padres will be without third baseman Chase Headley and outfielder Carlos Quentin for Friday night’s contest against the Dodgers. Jordan Littman of U-T San Diego reports that Headley is having his back examined (he received an epidural), and Quentin is suffering soreness in his left knee. Alexi Amarista gets the start at third base and will bat seventh, and Seth Smith is starting in left field, batting third.
Headley, 30, was on the disabled list between late April and mid-May with a strained left calf. He suffered from back soreness in each of the last two seasons. A free agent after the season, Headley is having a forgettable season, slashing .200/.283/.333 with six home runs and 23 RBI in 219 plate appearances.
Quentin, 31, first experienced soreness in his left knee late in spring training and began the season on the disabled list. He did not make his season debut until May 13. Quentin had surgery to remove loose bodies in his right knee last July. He, too, is having a poor year offensively, slashing .192/.302/.342 with three home runs and eight RBI in 86 plate appearances.
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 15
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 14
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 36
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 21
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)