Jun 20, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
The Padres will be without third baseman Chase Headley and outfielder Carlos Quentin for Friday night’s contest against the Dodgers. Jordan Littman of U-T San Diego reports that Headley is having his back examined (he received an epidural), and Quentin is suffering soreness in his left knee. Alexi Amarista gets the start at third base and will bat seventh, and Seth Smith is starting in left field, batting third.
Headley, 30, was on the disabled list between late April and mid-May with a strained left calf. He suffered from back soreness in each of the last two seasons. A free agent after the season, Headley is having a forgettable season, slashing .200/.283/.333 with six home runs and 23 RBI in 219 plate appearances.
Quentin, 31, first experienced soreness in his left knee late in spring training and began the season on the disabled list. He did not make his season debut until May 13. Quentin had surgery to remove loose bodies in his right knee last July. He, too, is having a poor year offensively, slashing .192/.302/.342 with three home runs and eight RBI in 86 plate appearances.
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery 0
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 11
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 119
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)