Jun 20, 2014, 4:51 PM EDT
Jon Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the Reds are “close” to a deal with Cuban pitcher Raisel Iglesias, who defected last November.
Ben Badler of Baseball America writes that Iglesias will probably wind up as a full-time reliever and “throws 92-95 mph with a sweepy but effective slider and erratic control.”
Last season he posted a 1.68 ERA with 50 strikeouts in 54 innings in Cuba and, while there’s no word yet on the money involved, previous speculation had Iglesias getting in excess of $10 million.
At age 24 he could move to the big leagues in a hurry.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 4
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)