Jun 20, 2014, 4:51 PM EDT
Jon Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the Reds are “close” to a deal with Cuban pitcher Raisel Iglesias, who defected last November.
Ben Badler of Baseball America writes that Iglesias will probably wind up as a full-time reliever and “throws 92-95 mph with a sweepy but effective slider and erratic control.”
Last season he posted a 1.68 ERA with 50 strikeouts in 54 innings in Cuba and, while there’s no word yet on the money involved, previous speculation had Iglesias getting in excess of $10 million.
At age 24 he could move to the big leagues in a hurry.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 27
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)