Jun 20, 2014, 4:51 PM EDT
Jon Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the Reds are “close” to a deal with Cuban pitcher Raisel Iglesias, who defected last November.
Ben Badler of Baseball America writes that Iglesias will probably wind up as a full-time reliever and “throws 92-95 mph with a sweepy but effective slider and erratic control.”
Last season he posted a 1.68 ERA with 50 strikeouts in 54 innings in Cuba and, while there’s no word yet on the money involved, previous speculation had Iglesias getting in excess of $10 million.
At age 24 he could move to the big leagues in a hurry.
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 26
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 28
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)