Jun 20, 2014, 4:51 PM EST
Jon Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the Reds are “close” to a deal with Cuban pitcher Raisel Iglesias, who defected last November.
Ben Badler of Baseball America writes that Iglesias will probably wind up as a full-time reliever and “throws 92-95 mph with a sweepy but effective slider and erratic control.”
Last season he posted a 1.68 ERA with 50 strikeouts in 54 innings in Cuba and, while there’s no word yet on the money involved, previous speculation had Iglesias getting in excess of $10 million.
At age 24 he could move to the big leagues in a hurry.
- Report: Cuban free agent infielder Hector Olivera could have damaged ulnar collateral ligament 0
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 11
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 9
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 138
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (372)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (138)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)