Jun 21, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Cardinals second baseman Kolten Wong is headed to the disabled list with an injury to his left shoulder. Shane Robinson has been recalled from Triple-A Memphis.
The shoulder has bothered Wong for quite some time, as he exited in the fifth inning of a game against the Royals on June 5, and missed three additional games before returning on the 10th. Entering Saturday afternoon’s game against the Phillies, Wong had compiled a .077/.077/.154 slash line in 26 plate appearances dating back to June 10. He was not in the lineup, as Mark Ellis got the start instead.
Wong, 23, has a .228/.282/.304 slash line with one home run, 16 RBI, and nine stolen bases in his first full season in the big leagues.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (182)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)