Jun 21, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Cardinals second baseman Kolten Wong is headed to the disabled list with an injury to his left shoulder. Shane Robinson has been recalled from Triple-A Memphis.
The shoulder has bothered Wong for quite some time, as he exited in the fifth inning of a game against the Royals on June 5, and missed three additional games before returning on the 10th. Entering Saturday afternoon’s game against the Phillies, Wong had compiled a .077/.077/.154 slash line in 26 plate appearances dating back to June 10. He was not in the lineup, as Mark Ellis got the start instead.
Wong, 23, has a .228/.282/.304 slash line with one home run, 16 RBI, and nine stolen bases in his first full season in the big leagues.
- J.A. Happ is thriving with the Pirates 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 44
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 68
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 59
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 149
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (149)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)