Jun 21, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Cardinals second baseman Kolten Wong is headed to the disabled list with an injury to his left shoulder. Shane Robinson has been recalled from Triple-A Memphis.
The shoulder has bothered Wong for quite some time, as he exited in the fifth inning of a game against the Royals on June 5, and missed three additional games before returning on the 10th. Entering Saturday afternoon’s game against the Phillies, Wong had compiled a .077/.077/.154 slash line in 26 plate appearances dating back to June 10. He was not in the lineup, as Mark Ellis got the start instead.
Wong, 23, has a .228/.282/.304 slash line with one home run, 16 RBI, and nine stolen bases in his first full season in the big leagues.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 32
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 9
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)