Jun 21, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Cardinals second baseman Kolten Wong is headed to the disabled list with an injury to his left shoulder. Shane Robinson has been recalled from Triple-A Memphis.
The shoulder has bothered Wong for quite some time, as he exited in the fifth inning of a game against the Royals on June 5, and missed three additional games before returning on the 10th. Entering Saturday afternoon’s game against the Phillies, Wong had compiled a .077/.077/.154 slash line in 26 plate appearances dating back to June 10. He was not in the lineup, as Mark Ellis got the start instead.
Wong, 23, has a .228/.282/.304 slash line with one home run, 16 RBI, and nine stolen bases in his first full season in the big leagues.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 15
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 18
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 37
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)