Jun 21, 2014, 8:05 PM EST
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Cardinals second baseman Kolten Wong is headed to the disabled list with an injury to his left shoulder. Shane Robinson has been recalled from Triple-A Memphis.
The shoulder has bothered Wong for quite some time, as he exited in the fifth inning of a game against the Royals on June 5, and missed three additional games before returning on the 10th. Entering Saturday afternoon’s game against the Phillies, Wong had compiled a .077/.077/.154 slash line in 26 plate appearances dating back to June 10. He was not in the lineup, as Mark Ellis got the start instead.
Wong, 23, has a .228/.282/.304 slash line with one home run, 16 RBI, and nine stolen bases in his first full season in the big leagues.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)