Jun 21, 2014, 10:45 AM EST
UPDATE: According to Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com, Orioles manager Buck Showalter confirmed this morning that the plan is for Gausman to return next Friday.
10:45 a.m. ET: The Orioles made a surprising move after last night’s walk-off loss to the Yankees, as they optioned right-hander Kevin Gausman down to Triple-A Norfolk. Brad Brach has been called up from the minors to add some depth to the bullpen.
While the decision looks like a head-scratcher on the surface, there is some logic behind it, as the Orioles can bring Gausman back to the majors to start in a doubleheader against the Rays next Friday. Unless there’s an injury, usually players who are optioned must spend 10 days in the minors before they are eligible to be called back up. However, that’s not the case if the player is the designated “26th man” for a doubleheader. It appears that the Orioles will go that route with Gausman.
The 23-year-old Gausman has been the Orioles’ best starter of late, allowing just two runs in 19 innings across three outings.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 75
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 41
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 22
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)