Jun 21, 2014, 12:44 PM EST
Four years after being selected ninth overall in the 2010 draft by the Padres, Karsten Whitson is a member of the Red Sox organization, according to WEEI’s Alex Speier. Whitson signed for $100,000, the most the Red Sox could give him as an 11th-round pick without cutting into their allotted draft pool.
After being drafted out of high school, Whitson turned down $2.1 million deal with the Padres in order to attend the University of Florida, which is where his parents went to school. He starred right away with the Gators, going 8-1 with a 2.40 ERA as a freshman. However, he started battling shoulder problems as a sophomore and missed his entire junior season after surgery, causing him to redshirt.
This year, Whitson had a 3.86 ERA and a 21/23 K/BB ratio in 37 1/3 innings, but he was back throwing in the mid-90s at the end of the year, giving him something to work with as he enters the pros. He’s a lottery ticket for the Red Sox, but one that could pay off.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)