Jun 21, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
The Reds have designated outfielder Roger Bernadina for assignment and called up pitcher Carlos Contreras from Double-A Pensacola, C. Trent Rosecrans of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports. The Reds had signed Bernadina to a one-year, $1 million contract in January. It isn’t the first time they have DFAed Bernadina — they did so May 3, sent him outright to Triple-A on the 5th, and recalled him on the 6th.
Bernadina, 30, slashed a meager .153/.286/.203 over 71 plate appearances for the Reds.
Contreras, 23, posted a 2.70 ERA with a 27/11 K/BB ratio in 20 innings spanning three starts and six relief appearances for the Pensacola Blue Wahoos.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 8
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 28
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 22
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)