Jun 21, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
The Reds have designated outfielder Roger Bernadina for assignment and called up pitcher Carlos Contreras from Double-A Pensacola, C. Trent Rosecrans of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports. The Reds had signed Bernadina to a one-year, $1 million contract in January. It isn’t the first time they have DFAed Bernadina — they did so May 3, sent him outright to Triple-A on the 5th, and recalled him on the 6th.
Bernadina, 30, slashed a meager .153/.286/.203 over 71 plate appearances for the Reds.
Contreras, 23, posted a 2.70 ERA with a 27/11 K/BB ratio in 20 innings spanning three starts and six relief appearances for the Pensacola Blue Wahoos.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (107)