Jun 21, 2014, 11:30 AM EST
Troubled by a groin injury in recent days, Nori Aoki was placed on the disabled list by the Royals on Saturday, with Justin Maxwell getting called up to replace him.
Aoki has been quite the disappointment since coming over from the Brewers for reliever Will Smith in the offseason, though he was hitting better of late, going 7-for-19 with three doubles in his last five starts. Because of the groin injury, he didn’t play Wednesday and he was limited to a pinch-hitting appearance last night.
With Aoki out, the Royals figure to platoon Jarrod Dyson and Justin Maxwell in the outfield, which might actually be an upgrade. Dyson, who will start in center and lead off against righties, is the superior defensive outfielder, and he’s hit .296/.346/.316 this year compared to .263/.326/.324 for Aoki. Maxwell didn’t have any success in 32 at-bats before being cut by the Royals earlier this season, but he’s a lifetime .231/.347/.411 hitter against lefties.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)