Jun 21, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Troubled by a groin injury in recent days, Nori Aoki was placed on the disabled list by the Royals on Saturday, with Justin Maxwell getting called up to replace him.
Aoki has been quite the disappointment since coming over from the Brewers for reliever Will Smith in the offseason, though he was hitting better of late, going 7-for-19 with three doubles in his last five starts. Because of the groin injury, he didn’t play Wednesday and he was limited to a pinch-hitting appearance last night.
With Aoki out, the Royals figure to platoon Jarrod Dyson and Justin Maxwell in the outfield, which might actually be an upgrade. Dyson, who will start in center and lead off against righties, is the superior defensive outfielder, and he’s hit .296/.346/.316 this year compared to .263/.326/.324 for Aoki. Maxwell didn’t have any success in 32 at-bats before being cut by the Royals earlier this season, but he’s a lifetime .231/.347/.411 hitter against lefties.
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 3
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 34
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 29
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 40
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 72
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)