Jun 21, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Troubled by a groin injury in recent days, Nori Aoki was placed on the disabled list by the Royals on Saturday, with Justin Maxwell getting called up to replace him.
Aoki has been quite the disappointment since coming over from the Brewers for reliever Will Smith in the offseason, though he was hitting better of late, going 7-for-19 with three doubles in his last five starts. Because of the groin injury, he didn’t play Wednesday and he was limited to a pinch-hitting appearance last night.
With Aoki out, the Royals figure to platoon Jarrod Dyson and Justin Maxwell in the outfield, which might actually be an upgrade. Dyson, who will start in center and lead off against righties, is the superior defensive outfielder, and he’s hit .296/.346/.316 this year compared to .263/.326/.324 for Aoki. Maxwell didn’t have any success in 32 at-bats before being cut by the Royals earlier this season, but he’s a lifetime .231/.347/.411 hitter against lefties.
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 7
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 17
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)