Jun 21, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT
Thanks to a walk-off three run homer from Carlos Beltran, the Yankees came back to beat the Orioles 5-3 last night at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx.
The Yankees actually had had the early lead in this one thanks to an RBI double from Mark Teixeira in the first inning. Meanwhile, Hiroki Kuroda was cruising. He didn’t allow a hit over the first five innings. However, the Orioles touched him up for two runs in the sixth inning to take the lead and added an insurance run against David Huff in the top of the ninth. Zach Britton came on to close it for Baltimore, but he put two on with two out before Brian McCann knocked in one run with a single. Beltran then followed with the game-winning blast into the left-field bleachers.
You can watch the home run here:
Beltran really struggled after returning from the bone spur in his elbow, but he has begun to turn things around over the past few days. The 37-year-old has six hits in his last 17 at-bats, including two home runs and two doubles.
As for the Yankees, they have now won four straight to move to 39-33 on the year. They are tied with the Angels for the fourth-best record in the American League.
Your Friday box scores:
- Rays play Saturday’s game against the Blue Jays under protest 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 10
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 33
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 242
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (242)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)