Jun 21, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT
Thanks to a walk-off three run homer from Carlos Beltran, the Yankees came back to beat the Orioles 5-3 last night at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx.
The Yankees actually had had the early lead in this one thanks to an RBI double from Mark Teixeira in the first inning. Meanwhile, Hiroki Kuroda was cruising. He didn’t allow a hit over the first five innings. However, the Orioles touched him up for two runs in the sixth inning to take the lead and added an insurance run against David Huff in the top of the ninth. Zach Britton came on to close it for Baltimore, but he put two on with two out before Brian McCann knocked in one run with a single. Beltran then followed with the game-winning blast into the left-field bleachers.
You can watch the home run here:
Beltran really struggled after returning from the bone spur in his elbow, but he has begun to turn things around over the past few days. The 37-year-old has six hits in his last 17 at-bats, including two home runs and two doubles.
As for the Yankees, they have now won four straight to move to 39-33 on the year. They are tied with the Angels for the fourth-best record in the American League.
Your Friday box scores:
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)