Jun 21, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT
Thanks to a walk-off three run homer from Carlos Beltran, the Yankees came back to beat the Orioles 5-3 last night at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx.
The Yankees actually had had the early lead in this one thanks to an RBI double from Mark Teixeira in the first inning. Meanwhile, Hiroki Kuroda was cruising. He didn’t allow a hit over the first five innings. However, the Orioles touched him up for two runs in the sixth inning to take the lead and added an insurance run against David Huff in the top of the ninth. Zach Britton came on to close it for Baltimore, but he put two on with two out before Brian McCann knocked in one run with a single. Beltran then followed with the game-winning blast into the left-field bleachers.
You can watch the home run here:
Beltran really struggled after returning from the bone spur in his elbow, but he has begun to turn things around over the past few days. The 37-year-old has six hits in his last 17 at-bats, including two home runs and two doubles.
As for the Yankees, they have now won four straight to move to 39-33 on the year. They are tied with the Angels for the fourth-best record in the American League.
Your Friday box scores:
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 6
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)