Jun 21, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT
Thanks to a walk-off three run homer from Carlos Beltran, the Yankees came back to beat the Orioles 5-3 last night at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx.
The Yankees actually had had the early lead in this one thanks to an RBI double from Mark Teixeira in the first inning. Meanwhile, Hiroki Kuroda was cruising. He didn’t allow a hit over the first five innings. However, the Orioles touched him up for two runs in the sixth inning to take the lead and added an insurance run against David Huff in the top of the ninth. Zach Britton came on to close it for Baltimore, but he put two on with two out before Brian McCann knocked in one run with a single. Beltran then followed with the game-winning blast into the left-field bleachers.
You can watch the home run here:
Beltran really struggled after returning from the bone spur in his elbow, but he has begun to turn things around over the past few days. The 37-year-old has six hits in his last 17 at-bats, including two home runs and two doubles.
As for the Yankees, they have now won four straight to move to 39-33 on the year. They are tied with the Angels for the fourth-best record in the American League.
Your Friday box scores:
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 68
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 46
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)