Jun 21, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT
Thanks to a walk-off three run homer from Carlos Beltran, the Yankees came back to beat the Orioles 5-3 last night at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx.
The Yankees actually had had the early lead in this one thanks to an RBI double from Mark Teixeira in the first inning. Meanwhile, Hiroki Kuroda was cruising. He didn’t allow a hit over the first five innings. However, the Orioles touched him up for two runs in the sixth inning to take the lead and added an insurance run against David Huff in the top of the ninth. Zach Britton came on to close it for Baltimore, but he put two on with two out before Brian McCann knocked in one run with a single. Beltran then followed with the game-winning blast into the left-field bleachers.
You can watch the home run here:
Beltran really struggled after returning from the bone spur in his elbow, but he has begun to turn things around over the past few days. The 37-year-old has six hits in his last 17 at-bats, including two home runs and two doubles.
As for the Yankees, they have now won four straight to move to 39-33 on the year. They are tied with the Angels for the fourth-best record in the American League.
Your Friday box scores:
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 0
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 2
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 35
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)