Jun 21, 2014, 6:16 PM EDT
Things haven’t been going well for the Rockies lately. They’re in the midst of a four-game losing streak and are 7-17 since May 25, falling from five games over .500 to five games under. The implosion continued in Saturday afternoon’s game against the Brewers.
Trailing 5-2, Rockies starter Christian Friedrich loaded the bases with one out against opposing pitcher Wily Peralta. Friedrich fired a 91 MPH fastball that catcher Michael McKenry just plain missed. The ball kicked off of the backstop and rolled about halfway up the first base line. Aramis Ramirez scampered towards home plate. McKenry corralled the ball and tossed it to Friedrich covering home plate, but the throw sailed wide of Friedrich’s glove towards the visitors’ dugout. Friedrich chased after it as Mark Reynolds scored the second run on the play.
Jean Segura, who now was standing on third base, noticed Friedrich and McKenry weren’t paying attention, so he crept off of the bag before dashing home. Friedrich dove for the tag, but Segura slid into home plate safely for run number three of the play, four of the inning, and eight of the game.
Watch the play in all its ugliness:
Friedrich was charged with a wild pitch, and McKenry was charged with a throwing error on the play. It was one of four errors the Rockies have committed. They made three errors in the second inning, leading to the Brewers’ first four runs.
MLB’s Twitter account has some trivia:
The last time 3 runners scored on a wild pitch? Rafael Palmeiro, Ruben Sierra and Gabe Kapler all scored for @Rangers on 6/29/2001.
— MLB (@MLB) June 21, 2014
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)