Jun 21, 2014, 6:16 PM EDT
Things haven’t been going well for the Rockies lately. They’re in the midst of a four-game losing streak and are 7-17 since May 25, falling from five games over .500 to five games under. The implosion continued in Saturday afternoon’s game against the Brewers.
Trailing 5-2, Rockies starter Christian Friedrich loaded the bases with one out against opposing pitcher Wily Peralta. Friedrich fired a 91 MPH fastball that catcher Michael McKenry just plain missed. The ball kicked off of the backstop and rolled about halfway up the first base line. Aramis Ramirez scampered towards home plate. McKenry corralled the ball and tossed it to Friedrich covering home plate, but the throw sailed wide of Friedrich’s glove towards the visitors’ dugout. Friedrich chased after it as Mark Reynolds scored the second run on the play.
Jean Segura, who now was standing on third base, noticed Friedrich and McKenry weren’t paying attention, so he crept off of the bag before dashing home. Friedrich dove for the tag, but Segura slid into home plate safely for run number three of the play, four of the inning, and eight of the game.
Watch the play in all its ugliness:
Friedrich was charged with a wild pitch, and McKenry was charged with a throwing error on the play. It was one of four errors the Rockies have committed. They made three errors in the second inning, leading to the Brewers’ first four runs.
MLB’s Twitter account has some trivia:
The last time 3 runners scored on a wild pitch? Rafael Palmeiro, Ruben Sierra and Gabe Kapler all scored for @Rangers on 6/29/2001.
— MLB (@MLB) June 21, 2014
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 0
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 10
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 87
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (87)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (78)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)