The Rockies gave up three runs on one of the worst plays you’ll ever see

Jun 21, 2014, 6:16 PM EDT

Getty Images

Things haven’t been going well for the Rockies lately. They’re in the midst of a four-game losing streak and are 7-17 since May 25, falling from five games over .500 to five games under. The implosion continued in Saturday afternoon’s game against the Brewers.

Trailing 5-2, Rockies starter Christian Friedrich loaded the bases with one out against opposing pitcher Wily Peralta. Friedrich fired a 91 MPH fastball that catcher Michael McKenry just plain missed. The ball kicked off of the backstop and rolled about halfway up the first base line. Aramis Ramirez scampered towards home plate. McKenry corralled the ball and tossed it to Friedrich covering home plate, but the throw sailed wide of Friedrich’s glove towards the visitors’ dugout. Friedrich chased after it as Mark Reynolds scored the second run on the play.

Jean Segura, who now was standing on third base, noticed Friedrich and McKenry weren’t paying attention, so he crept off of the bag before dashing home. Friedrich dove for the tag, but Segura slid into home plate safely for run number three of the play, four of the inning, and eight of the game.

Watch the play in all its ugliness:

Friedrich was charged with a wild pitch, and McKenry was charged with a throwing error on the play. It was one of four errors the Rockies have committed. They made three errors in the second inning, leading to the Brewers’ first four runs.

MLB’s Twitter account has some trivia:

1. 1998yanks - Jun 21, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Ouch!

2. uwsptke - Jun 21, 2014 at 6:31 PM

“I have seen everything” was a fitting ending to that video clip.

3. stex52 - Jun 21, 2014 at 6:36 PM

I don’t know. I have dealt with a lot of Little Leaguers in my time.

And the Astros had one last year that started with a bunt with a man on first and ended with a run home and a man on third. For sheer putridness I think that was worse, but I guess since it only involved one run scored instead of three it wasn’t quantitatively as bad. Sure was bad, though.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jun 21, 2014 at 8:46 PM

My first reaction was: Those kids seem really tall for Little Leaguers.

• jm91rs - Jun 23, 2014 at 7:31 AM

It completely reminded me of my 10 year olds team in a little league tournament last year. The base runners on the other actually knew what they were doing and took bases like this at will off my son’s team.

4. gdobs227 - Jun 21, 2014 at 6:37 PM

How in the world is that a wild pitch?

• scotttheskeptic - Jun 21, 2014 at 8:09 PM

I concur. First thought was, “passed ball.”

• pandorasdadca - Jun 21, 2014 at 11:11 PM

Yeah, that should be a passed ball. Cross up or not.

5. uwsptke - Jun 21, 2014 at 6:45 PM

I think the catcher got crossed up and was looking for a breaking ball.

• pandorasdadca - Jun 21, 2014 at 11:12 PM

He’s lucky that didn’t hit him in the forehead.

6. tccoats - Jun 21, 2014 at 6:46 PM

wow!….that was AWFUL!….

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jun 22, 2014 at 4:20 AM

What I found funniest was Segura rounding third and his actions suggest he was thinking “OK, how far can I go before these guys notice and move to prevent me from scoring? Closer, closer, closer, holy carp!”

• diable37 - Jun 22, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Thumbs up for Holy Carp.

7. mungman69 - Jun 21, 2014 at 7:01 PM

It was a wild pitch cause the pitcher threw it wildly. A 3 run wild pitch, COOL!

• dan1111 - Jun 22, 2014 at 2:20 AM

A wild pitch is supposed to be a pitch that is out of range for a catcher to catch with normal effort. This pitch was only chest high, and that the catcher was easily able to put a glove on without moving his body.

8. chill1184 - Jun 21, 2014 at 7:07 PM

(turns head sideways)

9. kcroyal - Jun 21, 2014 at 7:46 PM

#BeRoyal

10. xpensivewinos - Jun 21, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Wish I had been listening to the Rockies broadcast. Would have loved to have heard how their condescending prick homer announcers would have found a way to put a ridiculous positive spin on it in the Rockies favor…………..and found a way to say something disparaging about the opposing team.

The Rockies tv announcers are right there with Harrelson/Stone in terms of total garbage.

• jchaiss - Jun 22, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Yeah I hate team based color commenters talking positive about their team how dear they!

11. bigx21 - Jun 21, 2014 at 8:23 PM

SMH!!

12. officialgame - Jun 21, 2014 at 8:35 PM

There season depends on a seriously aging Romo and Whitten. Tony is battered, abused and on his last leg so why not become pass happy and put him harms way??? Stupid.

• nclrbrt - Jun 21, 2014 at 8:49 PM

Huh?

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Jun 21, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Um, these are not the boards you are looking for…

• nightman13 - Jun 21, 2014 at 10:21 PM

And you spelled Witten wrong. Seriously, how can you spell his name wrong if you are a big fan it’s written on the back of his jersey?

• dan1111 - Jun 22, 2014 at 2:12 AM

Someone gave this comment a thumbs up? Wow!

• jchaiss - Jun 22, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Yes the Rockies’ Romo should just pass to Witten, I hope the Rockies see this post and take your suggestion to heart.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jun 22, 2014 at 3:45 PM

Rockies need Patrick Roy in their bullpen.

13. sabatimus - Jun 21, 2014 at 9:59 PM

So I guess the 3rd run gets attributed to the throwing error as well? If so, it really shouldn’t be: that was entirely Friedrich’s fault for not paying attention.

14. strosfan85 - Jun 22, 2014 at 1:11 AM

Wow.. just wow..

15. tendigitpoet - Jun 22, 2014 at 8:49 AM

I think the official scorer’s going to end up changing that play to passed ball, throwing error, and defensive indifference.

16. xpensivewinos - Jun 22, 2014 at 9:49 PM

——————————————————————————————

Well, parts of that were English. Nicely done.

Over-the-top, non-objective homer-ism coupled with taking constant passive-aggressive shots at the opponent is bush league crap and the Rockies announcers have perfected it. Unfortunately, most announcing teams do it. This is, in my opinion, one of the many reason the Rockies announcers are brutal. They’re not alone……

17. spacenettle - Jun 27, 2014 at 6:09 PM

That third run made me literally laugh out loud!

Three legends off to Cooperstown