Jun 22, 2014, 1:53 PM EDT
Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times had this to say in a column posted late Saturday night about the budding David Price trade market: “It has become increasingly obvious that the Rays likely — if not absolutely, positively — are going to trade Price over the next 5 1/2 weeks until the July 31 deadline.”
And then Topkin gets to the potential landing spots:
The Cardinals have been watching the Rays closely recently, the Giants and Dodgers (whom many around baseball consider the favorites for Price) at times. The Braves, especially after Gavin Floyd‘s injury, seem like a possibility, and maybe there’s a surprise candidate, such as the Marlins, who also were scouting Price on Friday. Among other AL teams, the Angels, A’s and Indians seem likely candidates.
ESPN’s Jim Bowden has also mentioned the Blue Jays, White Sox, and Yankees as possible suitors.
Price owns a 3.81 ERA, 1.115 WHIP, and 133/13 K/BB ratio in 115 2/3 innings this season for Tampa Bay. The 28-year-old lefty is making $14 million this season and is arbitration-eligible for the final time in 2015.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 21
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 6
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 86
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)