Jun 22, 2014, 1:53 PM EDT
Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times had this to say in a column posted late Saturday night about the budding David Price trade market: “It has become increasingly obvious that the Rays likely — if not absolutely, positively — are going to trade Price over the next 5 1/2 weeks until the July 31 deadline.”
And then Topkin gets to the potential landing spots:
The Cardinals have been watching the Rays closely recently, the Giants and Dodgers (whom many around baseball consider the favorites for Price) at times. The Braves, especially after Gavin Floyd‘s injury, seem like a possibility, and maybe there’s a surprise candidate, such as the Marlins, who also were scouting Price on Friday. Among other AL teams, the Angels, A’s and Indians seem likely candidates.
ESPN’s Jim Bowden has also mentioned the Blue Jays, White Sox, and Yankees as possible suitors.
Price owns a 3.81 ERA, 1.115 WHIP, and 133/13 K/BB ratio in 115 2/3 innings this season for Tampa Bay. The 28-year-old lefty is making $14 million this season and is arbitration-eligible for the final time in 2015.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)