Jun 22, 2014, 1:53 PM EDT
Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times had this to say in a column posted late Saturday night about the budding David Price trade market: “It has become increasingly obvious that the Rays likely — if not absolutely, positively — are going to trade Price over the next 5 1/2 weeks until the July 31 deadline.”
And then Topkin gets to the potential landing spots:
The Cardinals have been watching the Rays closely recently, the Giants and Dodgers (whom many around baseball consider the favorites for Price) at times. The Braves, especially after Gavin Floyd‘s injury, seem like a possibility, and maybe there’s a surprise candidate, such as the Marlins, who also were scouting Price on Friday. Among other AL teams, the Angels, A’s and Indians seem likely candidates.
ESPN’s Jim Bowden has also mentioned the Blue Jays, White Sox, and Yankees as possible suitors.
Price owns a 3.81 ERA, 1.115 WHIP, and 133/13 K/BB ratio in 115 2/3 innings this season for Tampa Bay. The 28-year-old lefty is making $14 million this season and is arbitration-eligible for the final time in 2015.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 3
- Who really owns a home run ball? 58
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)