Jun 22, 2014, 1:53 PM EST
Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times had this to say in a column posted late Saturday night about the budding David Price trade market: “It has become increasingly obvious that the Rays likely — if not absolutely, positively — are going to trade Price over the next 5 1/2 weeks until the July 31 deadline.”
And then Topkin gets to the potential landing spots:
The Cardinals have been watching the Rays closely recently, the Giants and Dodgers (whom many around baseball consider the favorites for Price) at times. The Braves, especially after Gavin Floyd‘s injury, seem like a possibility, and maybe there’s a surprise candidate, such as the Marlins, who also were scouting Price on Friday. Among other AL teams, the Angels, A’s and Indians seem likely candidates.
ESPN’s Jim Bowden has also mentioned the Blue Jays, White Sox, and Yankees as possible suitors.
Price owns a 3.81 ERA, 1.115 WHIP, and 133/13 K/BB ratio in 115 2/3 innings this season for Tampa Bay. The 28-year-old lefty is making $14 million this season and is arbitration-eligible for the final time in 2015.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 63
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)