Jun 22, 2014, 1:53 PM EDT
Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times had this to say in a column posted late Saturday night about the budding David Price trade market: “It has become increasingly obvious that the Rays likely — if not absolutely, positively — are going to trade Price over the next 5 1/2 weeks until the July 31 deadline.”
And then Topkin gets to the potential landing spots:
The Cardinals have been watching the Rays closely recently, the Giants and Dodgers (whom many around baseball consider the favorites for Price) at times. The Braves, especially after Gavin Floyd‘s injury, seem like a possibility, and maybe there’s a surprise candidate, such as the Marlins, who also were scouting Price on Friday. Among other AL teams, the Angels, A’s and Indians seem likely candidates.
ESPN’s Jim Bowden has also mentioned the Blue Jays, White Sox, and Yankees as possible suitors.
Price owns a 3.81 ERA, 1.115 WHIP, and 133/13 K/BB ratio in 115 2/3 innings this season for Tampa Bay. The 28-year-old lefty is making $14 million this season and is arbitration-eligible for the final time in 2015.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)