Jun 22, 2014, 12:25 PM EST
From Bruce Levine of Chicago’s 670 The Score comes word that the Cubs have activated catcher Welington Castillo from the 15-day disabled list and designated Eli Whiteside for assignment in a corresponding move to open up a roster spot.
Castillo wound up missing nearly three weeks with a rib cage injury. He was 3-for-10 with two walks during a two-game rehab assignment at Triple-A Iowa.
The 27-year-old backstop is batting .242/.287/.385 with five home runs and 21 RBI in 43 games this season for the last-place Cubs, who open play Sunday against the Pirates with a record of 31-41.
Whiteside, a .210/.265/.327 career hitter, will likely pass through waivers and head to Iowa.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (306)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (121)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)