Jun 22, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
From Bruce Levine of Chicago’s 670 The Score comes word that the Cubs have activated catcher Welington Castillo from the 15-day disabled list and designated Eli Whiteside for assignment in a corresponding move to open up a roster spot.
Castillo wound up missing nearly three weeks with a rib cage injury. He was 3-for-10 with two walks during a two-game rehab assignment at Triple-A Iowa.
The 27-year-old backstop is batting .242/.287/.385 with five home runs and 21 RBI in 43 games this season for the last-place Cubs, who open play Sunday against the Pirates with a record of 31-41.
Whiteside, a .210/.265/.327 career hitter, will likely pass through waivers and head to Iowa.
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 7
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 83
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 59
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (81)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)