Jun 22, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
From Bruce Levine of Chicago’s 670 The Score comes word that the Cubs have activated catcher Welington Castillo from the 15-day disabled list and designated Eli Whiteside for assignment in a corresponding move to open up a roster spot.
Castillo wound up missing nearly three weeks with a rib cage injury. He was 3-for-10 with two walks during a two-game rehab assignment at Triple-A Iowa.
The 27-year-old backstop is batting .242/.287/.385 with five home runs and 21 RBI in 43 games this season for the last-place Cubs, who open play Sunday against the Pirates with a record of 31-41.
Whiteside, a .210/.265/.327 career hitter, will likely pass through waivers and head to Iowa.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)