Jun 22, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
From Bruce Levine of Chicago’s 670 The Score comes word that the Cubs have activated catcher Welington Castillo from the 15-day disabled list and designated Eli Whiteside for assignment in a corresponding move to open up a roster spot.
Castillo wound up missing nearly three weeks with a rib cage injury. He was 3-for-10 with two walks during a two-game rehab assignment at Triple-A Iowa.
The 27-year-old backstop is batting .242/.287/.385 with five home runs and 21 RBI in 43 games this season for the last-place Cubs, who open play Sunday against the Pirates with a record of 31-41.
Whiteside, a .210/.265/.327 career hitter, will likely pass through waivers and head to Iowa.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 171
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 70
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (171)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)