Jun 22, 2014, 5:19 PM EDT
Diamondbacks slugger Mark Trumbo told reporters last week that he was ready to begin a minor league rehab assignment with his surgically-repaired left foot feeling “good to go,” but Arizona’s medical staff is pumping the breaks on that sense of optimism.
According to beat reporter Jack Magruder of FOX Sports Southwest, Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson said Sunday afternoon that Trumbo has not been cleared yet for rehab games and will remain sidelined through the July 14-17 All-Star break.
Gibson, whose Diamondbacks are buried in last place in the National League West standings, said the club plans to “make sure on Trumbo,” who is under contractual control through the 2016 season.
Trumbo had seven home runs and 19 RBI in 21 games before fracturing his foot in late April.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 39
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)