Jun 22, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Randy Wolf has yet a new home. Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles have signed the left-hander to a minor league deal and assigned him to Triple-A Norfolk. He’ll make his first start with his new club on Tuesday against Pawtucket. The Orioles outrighted Edgmer Escalona off of the 40-man roster to make room for Wolf.
Wolf has been well-traveled in 2014 as he attempts to prolong his major league career. He spent the spring with the Mariners, but they released him on March 25. The Diamondbacks signed him to a minor league deal on April 11, but they released him about a month later after he posted a 4.50 ERA in 34 innings across six starts with Triple-A Reno. The Marlins signed him on May 14 and had him make his 2014 debut — his first appearance in the major leagues since September 2012 — on the same day. In four starts and two relief appearances for the Marlins, Wolf posted a 5.26 ERA with a 19/6 K/BB ratio in 25 2/3 innings. The Marlins designated Wolf for assignment on Monday, and he elected free agency on Wednesday.
The 37-year-old lefty is a veteran of 15 seasons in the big leagues. Over 2,293 2/3 career innings, Wolf has a 4.21 ERA with a 133-120 record.
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 12
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 75
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- Dodgers sign Cuban star Hector Olivera for $62.5 million 55
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (99)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)