All quiet on the Matt Kemp-Red Sox front

Jun 23, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT

matt kemp dodgers getty Getty Images

WEEI’s Rob Bradford reports that there is “nothing going on” between the Red Sox and Matt Kemp. They’re just in the basement watching videos and stuff. So quit turning the lights on from the top of the stairs, mom.

The idea makes sense: the Dodgers have too many outfielders and would like to part with one of their more expensive ones. The Red Sox have a need for some help in the outfield. The two teams have been big-time trading partners in the past. But it’s not that easy, of course. The Dodgers are getting decent production from Kemp lately and the Sox probably aren’t super eager to take on Kemp’s $107 million in outstanding salary obligations due to a possibly temporary outfield need right now.

Worth watching as the summer heats up, but seems a bit far-fetched right now.

1. sabatimus - Jun 23, 2014 at 1:14 PM

As it should be.

2. rollinghighwayblues - Jun 23, 2014 at 1:17 PM

No and no.

3. baseballici0us - Jun 23, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Sox are gonna make a move for Crawford instead :-)

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 23, 2014 at 2:03 PM

It’s a quarter after four and I’m a little drunk and I need you now…

• sabatimus - Jun 23, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Show me the way to go home…I’m tired and I wanna go to bed…I had a little drink about an hour ago and it’s gone right to my head..

4. proudlycanadian - Jun 23, 2014 at 1:27 PM

My sources indicate that the Red Sox are afraid that the Cubs are planning to try to sign Lester as a free agent this off season as it would only cost the Cubs $ and a second round pick. If the Sox continue to falter, Lester might be gone at the trade deadline.

• 18thstreet - Jun 23, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Are you being sarcastic about your sources? Do you have sources?

• dillongeeescapeplan - Jun 23, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Who cares? PC’s nothing more than a schtick anyway.

• sabatimus - Jun 23, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Keep in mind whom you’re asking.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 23, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Confidentially, my sources are as just as good as those of Carfado. 1) my barber’s wife has a cousin who knows someone who lives in Boston 2) my ex has a cousin who is a season ticket holder at Fenway with seats behind the visiting team dugout, and 3) I often read the comments by Red Sox fans on Boston.com. My sources are absolutely impeccable. Besides, we both know that Theo is out there lurking.

• 18thstreet - Jun 23, 2014 at 2:44 PM

God, will you sure the hell up?

What is your point of being here?

• playball - Jun 23, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Okay. We have some similar sources.
      I know people living in Boston.
      I read Boston.com. Although, I tend to choose the scribes t hat I read. The people that comment on
      the site can be thoughtful, but most tend to be angry and ticked off at any little thing. I’d take
      a wild guess that some of these folks tend to dial in to the talk radio in Boston.
      I do not know your ex’s cousin. You’ve trumped me there.

I don’t think you have the advantage over Cafardo. If Lester is a trade chip or not given a good deal off-season, that’s the RS. They low-balled him during Spring Training, so nothing would surprise me.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 23, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Cafardo is the person who predicted that the Jays would be trading Buehrle at the trade deadline. There is a bigger chance that Lester will be traded.

• playball - Jun 23, 2014 at 5:12 PM

The trade deadline has not happened yet, hmmm?

What else do your sources have to say about Boston’s trades?

And for the love of Sweet Caroline, why are you so interested in Boston? It baffles me.

• TheMorningStar - Jun 23, 2014 at 6:00 PM

You should concern yourself with whether the Blue Jays will continue to be the Yankees b*itch and forget the Boston trolling.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 23, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Shame on you. Children will read your filth.

5. Jack Marshall - Jun 23, 2014 at 1:27 PM

How “temporary”? The Red Sox need a major bat in the outfield if they are going to stubborn about Jackie Bradley Jr. The team’s pitching is championship-worthy if the team can muster even an average offense. Every game sees a line-up with at least three .200 hitters and 3-4 sub-.300 OBA players. That can’t work.

• 18thstreet - Jun 23, 2014 at 2:20 PM

The pictures are championship-worthy because Jackie is tracking down every fly ball between Lowell and Fall River.

• vapor54 - Jun 23, 2014 at 2:52 PM

18th- LOL

• 18thstreet - Jun 23, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Uh … pitchers.

6. dan1111 - Jun 23, 2014 at 1:36 PM

This would be a great trade…as long as the Dodgers ate a humongous portion of Kemp’s salary and asked for nothing in return. Otherwise, no thanks.

Kemp is getting paid according to one great season he had three years ago. Since then, he has been unhealthy, not that great of a hitter, and bad defensively. In fact, this year his defense rates so badly that he is below replacement-level according to WAR, despite hitting fairly well. It’s not even obvious that Kemp would be an improvement over the current pitiful Sox outfield.

Actually, I take it back. This would be a terrible trade even with the Dodgers eating lots of salary.

7. xpensivewinos - Jun 23, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Seems more realistic that as teams start to take on water, guys like Drew Stubbs, Travis Snider, John Mayberry will be more likely targets for the Red Sox. The sad part is, guys like that would be far more productive than the dreck the Red Sox have been sending out there on a daily basis…….

8. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 23, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Crack reporting there, Rob. I also heard that the Sox are not talking to the Yankees about Ellsbury or the Eagles about Michael Vick.

9. dillongeeescapeplan - Jun 23, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Yeah, I want no part of Kemp on the Sox. Especially factoring in money. It would be a terrible move.

10. musketmaniac - Jun 23, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Tabata should start getting attention. although as a Pirate fan I’d much rather see Snyder go. But I’d bet the pirate’s make a small move by the end of the week.

11. sportsfan18 - Jun 23, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Kemp WAS great when healthy…

it’s sad when injuries rob players and us of seeing them play at their peak…

If I were the Red Sox or any other team, the Dodgers would be EATING a lot of that contract for me to take them off of their hands.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3455)