Jun 23, 2014, 8:23 AM EST
Mind-blowing fact I did not know until I got the press release about the latest update in the All-Star voting: the Oakland A’s have not have a fan-elected starter in the All-Star Game since Jason Giambi was elected in 2000. Fourteen years! I never would’ve guessed that, but facts are facts.
That looks to be ending this year. Josh Donaldson has a pretty significant lead over Adrian Beltre at third base. Moreover, Yoenis Cespedes is breathing down Melky Cabrera‘s neck for the third outfield spot and Derek Norris is close behind the injured and inactive Matt Wieters behind the plate. So at least one of these guys will be elected, two should start and, if trends continue, three could be elected by fans.
Hey, they’re the best team in baseball. Why shouldn’t they be well-represented?
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 7
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 53
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 139
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (139)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)