Jun 23, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
Mind-blowing fact I did not know until I got the press release about the latest update in the All-Star voting: the Oakland A’s have not have a fan-elected starter in the All-Star Game since Jason Giambi was elected in 2000. Fourteen years! I never would’ve guessed that, but facts are facts.
That looks to be ending this year. Josh Donaldson has a pretty significant lead over Adrian Beltre at third base. Moreover, Yoenis Cespedes is breathing down Melky Cabrera‘s neck for the third outfield spot and Derek Norris is close behind the injured and inactive Matt Wieters behind the plate. So at least one of these guys will be elected, two should start and, if trends continue, three could be elected by fans.
Hey, they’re the best team in baseball. Why shouldn’t they be well-represented?
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 5
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 92
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 13
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 55
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (92)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)