Jun 23, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that Padres starter Andrew Cashner has been scratched from his start against the Giants today due to shoulder soreness. Odrisamer Despaigne — which I coulda swore was a Belgian ale of some sort as opposed to a pitcher, but I guess not — will start in his place.
Cashner has made three starts since missing a month or so with elbow issues and two of those three starts were pretty good. This could just be something done out of caution. One hopes it’s not some chain reaction thing due to overcompensating or what have you. Obviously, though, we can’t know at the moment. Worth watching, though, given that the Padres just fired their GM and could be on the verge of some major restructuring.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)