Jun 23, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that Padres starter Andrew Cashner has been scratched from his start against the Giants today due to shoulder soreness. Odrisamer Despaigne — which I coulda swore was a Belgian ale of some sort as opposed to a pitcher, but I guess not — will start in his place.
Cashner has made three starts since missing a month or so with elbow issues and two of those three starts were pretty good. This could just be something done out of caution. One hopes it’s not some chain reaction thing due to overcompensating or what have you. Obviously, though, we can’t know at the moment. Worth watching, though, given that the Padres just fired their GM and could be on the verge of some major restructuring.
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 44
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 12
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 10
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 12
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 20
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)