Jun 23, 2014, 9:46 AM EST
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that Padres starter Andrew Cashner has been scratched from his start against the Giants today due to shoulder soreness. Odrisamer Despaigne — which I coulda swore was a Belgian ale of some sort as opposed to a pitcher, but I guess not — will start in his place.
Cashner has made three starts since missing a month or so with elbow issues and two of those three starts were pretty good. This could just be something done out of caution. One hopes it’s not some chain reaction thing due to overcompensating or what have you. Obviously, though, we can’t know at the moment. Worth watching, though, given that the Padres just fired their GM and could be on the verge of some major restructuring.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)