Bob Melvin on matchup with Mets: “We may intentionally walk Bartolo a couple of times . . .”

Jun 23, 2014, 4:07 PM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-06-23 at 4.06.01 PM AP

A’s manager Bob Melvin was asked about Oakland facing former teammate Bartolo Colon tomorrow. After noting that he saw Colon hit a double last week, he revealed his game plan:

“I’m looking forward to watching him hit, not necessarily looking forward to facing him,” Melvin said. “I did [see his double recently]. I’ve seen some of his hacks here before, too.

“We may walk Bartolo intentionally a couple of times just to get him on the basepaths, see him run around a little bit.”

Oh please, oh please, oh please. I’d pay good money to see this. Especially if Terry Collins gives Colon the green light to swipe second.

In other news, given the Mets’ offense, it may be the best game plan for legitimate reasons as well as comedic ones.

1. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jun 23, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Honestly, is this that bad of an idea? I know the pitcher is supposed to be an easy out, but if you can get him to run around a lot more, thereby tiring him out and hopefully getting into the bullpen sooner…

Might not be a terrible strategy against any NL team with good pitching and suspect hitting.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 23, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Man, you just don’t want to have to face (EY2, Lagares, Tejada) with a runner on.

• bfunk1978 - Jun 23, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Yeah, in this case I agree. Anyone with good hitters hitting early in the lineup – which is all of them – you’re giving them an extra runner, giving away an out, and I think giving up actual runs is worse than the potential “tired out” factor.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 23, 2014 at 5:23 PM

I was more interested in taking a cheap dig at the drek the Met’s have been running on in the leadoff spot. I would agree with you in most cases, but against the Mets #1 hitters, it may be a risk worth taking…

• bfunk1978 - Jun 24, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Feel free, but even then the Mets are more or less putting their best hitters early in the lineup.

• bfunk1978 - Jun 24, 2014 at 5:37 PM

..and since they’re doing that, that’s where the dig at the offense comes from. THESE GUYS???? lol

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jun 23, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Of course giving the extra runner and taking away an out is a bad idea for good hitting clubs. Hence the bit I said about teams with suspect hitting.

I’m more of an AL guy, so I’m not very familiar with the Mets. Is the top 2-3 of their lineup any good (I don’t know what a EY2 is and the only Tejada I know is named Miguel and he hasn’t scared anyone for years)? Is there pop that would cause a manager to fear a walk, or is there some potential double play action happening there?

• zzalapski - Jun 23, 2014 at 7:55 PM

As Sparky Lyle noted in “The Year I Owned the Yankees”, the counter-strategy is to let your pitcher get intentionally picked off at first base.

• dmoas - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:48 AM

I was already picturing a moment where the runner chased the guy with the ball in an effort to get him to run.

2. playball - Jun 23, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Craig,
    Trying to send you an email, but for the life of me, I can’t find your address. If you could shoot me one when you have a minute, I’d appreciate it.

• dondada10 - Jun 23, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Craig and I shoot each other emails all the time. It’s KingDingaLing420@gmail.com.

• playball - Jun 23, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Awesome. Just sent the email. You are my hero.

3. illuminancer - Jun 23, 2014 at 4:33 PM

No! Depriving the world of Colon at-bats should be against the unwritten rules or something–especially since we’re not likely to see any more Santiago Casilla at-bats.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 25, 2014 at 10:08 AM

May Colon and Jumbo Diaz can enter the HR Derby this year. I’d pay to watch it.

4. paint771 - Jun 23, 2014 at 4:33 PM

I always thought the way to approach facing Bartolo Colon on the mound was to have everyone in your lineup bunt up the middle for at least an inning or two. Caution: have an ambulance standing by.

• clydeserra - Jun 23, 2014 at 4:53 PM

haha fat jokes. super funny.

Bartolo is a great fielding pitcher. And about 100 times the athlete you are.

• paint771 - Jun 23, 2014 at 6:26 PM

It helps his fielding numbers that the MLBPA negotiated to allow him the use of a motorized cart from Walmart to cover first base.

5. paint771 - Jun 23, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Bartolo Colon is fat, is what we’re saying.

• chinahand11 - Jun 23, 2014 at 6:23 PM

I visualize him chugging around third, huffing and puffing, then fainting halfway to home.

6. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 23, 2014 at 4:41 PM

If Colon is on first, and Eric Young tries for a bunt, do the fielders throw to 1B first, knowing the will likely still have time to get Colon at second for the double-play?

7. cur68 - Jun 23, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Hey! Lets all show The Dugong some respect, eh? He’s a finely tuned athlete. He’ll hit his way on and steal a base, I predict it.

8. billsfanaddict - Jun 23, 2014 at 10:17 PM

and Touranga Leela in beans another batter in blurnsball

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3086)