Cardinals calling up 2013 first-round pick Marco Gonzales to help in rotation

Jun 23, 2014, 9:35 PM EDT

Marco Gonzales Getty Getty Images

Now that Michael Wacha and Jaime Garcia are both on the disabled list with shoulder injuries, the Cardinals are calling up one of their top prospects to help bolster their starting rotation.

As first reported by television announcer Dan McLaughlin, the Cardinals are promoting left-hander Marco Gonzales. He’ll make his major league debut Wednesday against the Rockies at Coors Field.

It’s been a rapid rise for Gonzales, who was selected No. 19 overall out of Gonzaga in last June’s First-Year Player Draft. The 22-year-old owns a 2.08 ERA and 101/26 K/BB ratio over his first 99 2/3 innings in pro ball. He began this season with High-A Palm Beach and has thrived since a promotion to Double-A Springfield last month.

Gonzales might not be up for long depending on how things play out in the coming weeks, including Joe Kelly‘s recovery from a hamstring strain, but the Cardinals clearly aren’t afraid to be aggressive with their young arms. In case you haven’t noticed, health is an unexact science for pitchers, so a contending team might as well use the best talent available if they feel they are ready for the responsibility.

1. okwhitefalcon - Jun 23, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Well, I didn’t see this coming.

Organizational spin has been interesting on this call up, referencing his experience pitching in Colorado as a high schooler as a point of emphasis.

I’m pretty much numb to Cards roster moves this year so I’ll refrain from praising or blasting.

• paperlions - Jun 23, 2014 at 10:03 PM

Wait, you don’t like them calling up Kozma and Fornataro today? FWIW, Fornataro is walking 50% more guys than he’s striking out in AAA this year….and, you know, Kozma still can’t even hit AAA pitching. The bench is a giant black hole right now.

However, this is the only option if they want a real starter and not a bullpen game….there are only 2 viable options MiLB options(Gonzalez and Cooney), and Cooney just pitched Saturday.

• okwhitefalcon - Jun 23, 2014 at 10:19 PM

The Koz/Fornitaro recall has me swimming in the abyss, I’m drowning man.

I’m a flaming ball of indifference to all inner organizational moves and/or injury news at this point.

• paperlions - Jun 23, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Yeah, if those guys were answers to a jeopardy question, my guess would have been “Who are two guys the Cardinals outrighted off the 40-man roster?”

• SocraticGadfly - Jun 23, 2014 at 11:07 PM

Sidebar note: If they have that much trust in him, I think this means he is NOT a part of David Price trade talks. Other pitchers may be, but not him.

• paperlions - Jun 24, 2014 at 8:01 AM

What trade talks?

As long as people are fabricating, may as well say they are bringing him up as a “showcase” opportunity to enhance his value in a Price trade.

• SocraticGadfly - Jun 24, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Given that the Cards were among teams watching Price’s last start, with scouts, who weren’t just there for their health, those trade talks.

Given that that was a reported story, on this site, that’s not “fabrication.”

(Oh, and Matt Adams still isn’t a below-average 1B, either.)

• paperlions - Jun 24, 2014 at 11:22 AM

When did I ever call Adams a below average 1B? Adam’s only problem is that he struggles horribly against lefties.

There is a giant leap between scouting a player/team and trade talks. Teams scout other teams and players all the time without trade talks ensuing.

Oh, and you were obviously wrong about Gonzales being the best option to fill a rotation spot.

• SocraticGadfly - Jun 24, 2014 at 11:22 AM

To be specific, per what Matheny said about Gonzales:

“His composure. His demeanor,” Matheny said. “There are a lot of things we saw in spring training. How he could command the plate but also the corners of the plate. There are some things that he was doing that first of all got our attention to where he would be a first-round pick and the same things we’ve seen as he progressed through the system. It all lines up well for him to come up here and help us do what we need to.”

You don’t readily trade away composure and demeanor.

• SocraticGadfly - Jun 24, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Maybe it was Falcon, but I thought you’ve been “less than high” on Adams, at the least, yourself. Not sure which of you has been more “down” on him, overall, though.

As for Marco being the best option or not, we’ll see on Wednesday. My take is that it was preferable not to dip to AA, and also not to have to tweak open a spot on the 40-man, for what’s likely a 1-game scenario, with one of the AAA pitchers being used as a longer option. And, I stand by that.

As for “trade talks,” oh, I’m sure Mo hasn’t sent a formal proposition to the Rays, so, if I want to be narrow with my language, there’s been no “talks.” But, I’m sure that, based on scouting, Mo has an idea of what he wants to offer. I’m also sure the Rays know the Cards would be a suitor, and have an idea of what they want.

• okwhitefalcon - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Not me, my only question about Adams has been his effectiveness against lefties and how he would fit with the organization long term.

I’ve always praised his ability to hit (righties) and regarded him as a high value trade chip if they chose to dangle him…

2. aphillieated - Jun 23, 2014 at 9:52 PM

And watch him dominate smh

3. nottinghamforest12 - Jun 23, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Remembre when Dan Mclaughlin was so intoxicated he urinated in his pants?

4. ereed1286 - Jun 23, 2014 at 10:12 PM

“Well, I gotta do somethin!”
    - Cosmo Kramer and John Mozeliak

5. tuberippin - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:34 AM

Isn’t it “an inexact science,” not “an unexact science”?

6. ud1951 - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:01 PM

At this point, I would not have been surprised if they had chosen to let Shane Robinson and Daniel Descalso cover the first 5 innings then turn it over to the bullpen.

7. brucewayne3561 - Jun 24, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Now Shelby Miller leaves tonight’s game in Colorado with a problem in his back! Darn! What else is gonna happen? The only bright spots so far this year for the Cards have been the starters & the bullpen! Better hope they start hitting A LOT better in the 2nd have or this team is gonna be in trouble! Hopefully Kelly is back soon ! As well as Wacha & Garcia respectively ! Let’s hope so anyway. I still think Taveras & Robinson or Piscotty should be called up. Gotta do something to shake up the lineup. Better do something sooner rather than wait until after the break! Maybe trade for Price or a big bat 3rd baseman & move Carp back to 2nd base. Not sure what it’s gonna take. Maybe a starter or two AND a BIG bat! Let’s Go Redbirds!!!

Three legends off to Cooperstown