Jun 23, 2014, 8:48 PM EDT
Cliff Lee has now been sidelined for over a month with a flexor strain in his throwing elbow. While there are still some important hurdles to cross, the Phillies are beginning to map out a plan for his return.
According to Corey Seidman of CSNPhilly.com, Lee is scheduled to throw his third bullpen session tomorrow. It will be an “up-and-down” session to essentially get him back in the groove of downtime between innings. If all goes well, he’ll progress to a simulated game this Saturday. Phillies manager Ryne Sandberg indicated that the next step could be a minor league rehab assignment.
“I don’t know if it’s one or two [rehab starts], but I would think it would be something more than a simulated game,” Sandberg said.
“He’s progressing fine, passing all of the tests. His first bullpen was quality with location and stuff, and rebounding from it the next day with the way he felt. All positive.”
If Lee stays on schedule and makes a pair of rehab starts, he could potentially be activated on July 13 against the Nationals. That’s the final day before the All-Star break. Of course, they could always give him a little extra time and bring him back for the start of the second half on July 18 against the Braves. Either way, he’ll only have a brief window to prove his health and effectiveness leading up to the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline.
Lee, 35, had a 3.18 ERA and 61/9 K/BB ratio in 68 innings over 10 starts prior to hitting the disabled list. He’s owed $25 million in each of the next two seasons.
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 0
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 131
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 33
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (131)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)