Jun 23, 2014, 7:01 PM EST
It’s that time again. Yes, the Home Run Derby is back for another year and today the captains for the National League and the American League were announced.
Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzki will lead the National League squad while Blue Jays outfielder Jose Bautista will head up the American League group. Appropriately enough, both players are the current leading vote-getters in their respective leagues.
The rest of the competitors have yet to be announced, but four more players will be added for each league in the days to come. Tulowitzki and Bautista will now do some recruiting of their peers, though fans can make some suggestions via this poll on MLB.com. Athetics outfielder Yoenis Cespedes won last year’s competition. One would think he’d be invited back to defend his crown.
The 2014 Home Run Derby will take place on Monday, July 14 from Target Field, the home of the Twins. The 85th MLB All-Star Game will be played the following evening.
UPDATE: This year’s derby will be a little different, as each player will get seven outs per round and the competition will be bracketed after the first round. Check out details here.
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 18
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 30
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 81
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)