Jun 23, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
It’s that time again. Yes, the Home Run Derby is back for another year and today the captains for the National League and the American League were announced.
Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzki will lead the National League squad while Blue Jays outfielder Jose Bautista will head up the American League group. Appropriately enough, both players are the current leading vote-getters in their respective leagues.
The rest of the competitors have yet to be announced, but four more players will be added for each league in the days to come. Tulowitzki and Bautista will now do some recruiting of their peers, though fans can make some suggestions via this poll on MLB.com. Athetics outfielder Yoenis Cespedes won last year’s competition. One would think he’d be invited back to defend his crown.
The 2014 Home Run Derby will take place on Monday, July 14 from Target Field, the home of the Twins. The 85th MLB All-Star Game will be played the following evening.
UPDATE: This year’s derby will be a little different, as each player will get seven outs per round and the competition will be bracketed after the first round. Check out details here.
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 0
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 9
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 47
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 29
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)