Jun 23, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT
Jose Bautista came up limping while running the bases Sunday and the Blue Jays announced that the star right fielder been diagnosed with a mild left hamstring strain.
Bautista won’t play tonight, but manager John Gibbons told Shi Davidi of the Toronto Sportsnet that “hopefully just a couple of days” is all the missed time he’ll require. So for now at least he’ll avoid the disabled list.
Bautista is in the midst of an excellent season, hitting .305 with 15 homers and a .959 OPS in 77 games while leading the American League in walks (59), on-base percentage (.433), and runs scored (77).
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 14
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 80
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 10
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 20
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)