Jun 23, 2014, 4:47 PM EST
Jose Bautista came up limping while running the bases Sunday and the Blue Jays announced that the star right fielder been diagnosed with a mild left hamstring strain.
Bautista won’t play tonight, but manager John Gibbons told Shi Davidi of the Toronto Sportsnet that “hopefully just a couple of days” is all the missed time he’ll require. So for now at least he’ll avoid the disabled list.
Bautista is in the midst of an excellent season, hitting .305 with 15 homers and a .959 OPS in 77 games while leading the American League in walks (59), on-base percentage (.433), and runs scored (77).
- MLB declares Hector Olivera a free agent 0
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 3
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 23
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)