Jun 23, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
We learned earlier today that Andrew Cashner was scratched from tonight’s start against the Giants due to right shoulder soreness, but now the Padres have decided to place him on the 15-day disabled list.
According to Jeff Sanders of U-T San Diego, the Padres are simply trying to play it safe with Cashner given the circumstances involved. The 27-year-old has already had a stint on the disabled list this season due to elbow soreness, so there’s no need to push it, especially considering what he could be worth in a potential trade.
With Cashner sidelined, the Padres have called up right-hander Odrisamer Despaigne to start in his place this evening. The 27-year-old Cuban signed a $1 million deal with the Padres last month, but has struggled with his control in the minors, posting a 7.61 ERA with 29 strikeouts and 13 walks over 23 2/3 innings between Double- and Triple-A.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)