Jun 23, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
We learned earlier today that Andrew Cashner was scratched from tonight’s start against the Giants due to right shoulder soreness, but now the Padres have decided to place him on the 15-day disabled list.
According to Jeff Sanders of U-T San Diego, the Padres are simply trying to play it safe with Cashner given the circumstances involved. The 27-year-old has already had a stint on the disabled list this season due to elbow soreness, so there’s no need to push it, especially considering what he could be worth in a potential trade.
With Cashner sidelined, the Padres have called up right-hander Odrisamer Despaigne to start in his place this evening. The 27-year-old Cuban signed a $1 million deal with the Padres last month, but has struggled with his control in the minors, posting a 7.61 ERA with 29 strikeouts and 13 walks over 23 2/3 innings between Double- and Triple-A.
- Brook Jacoby and umpire Doug Eddings were in a “loud, obscenity-laced, nose-to-nose exchange” 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 122
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 5
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 13
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 3
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (124)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)