Jun 23, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
We learned earlier today that Andrew Cashner was scratched from tonight’s start against the Giants due to right shoulder soreness, but now the Padres have decided to place him on the 15-day disabled list.
According to Jeff Sanders of U-T San Diego, the Padres are simply trying to play it safe with Cashner given the circumstances involved. The 27-year-old has already had a stint on the disabled list this season due to elbow soreness, so there’s no need to push it, especially considering what he could be worth in a potential trade.
With Cashner sidelined, the Padres have called up right-hander Odrisamer Despaigne to start in his place this evening. The 27-year-old Cuban signed a $1 million deal with the Padres last month, but has struggled with his control in the minors, posting a 7.61 ERA with 29 strikeouts and 13 walks over 23 2/3 innings between Double- and Triple-A.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 196
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)