Jun 23, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
We learned earlier today that Andrew Cashner was scratched from tonight’s start against the Giants due to right shoulder soreness, but now the Padres have decided to place him on the 15-day disabled list.
According to Jeff Sanders of U-T San Diego, the Padres are simply trying to play it safe with Cashner given the circumstances involved. The 27-year-old has already had a stint on the disabled list this season due to elbow soreness, so there’s no need to push it, especially considering what he could be worth in a potential trade.
With Cashner sidelined, the Padres have called up right-hander Odrisamer Despaigne to start in his place this evening. The 27-year-old Cuban signed a $1 million deal with the Padres last month, but has struggled with his control in the minors, posting a 7.61 ERA with 29 strikeouts and 13 walks over 23 2/3 innings between Double- and Triple-A.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 90
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 63
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (94)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)