Jun 23, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
We learned earlier today that Andrew Cashner was scratched from tonight’s start against the Giants due to right shoulder soreness, but now the Padres have decided to place him on the 15-day disabled list.
According to Jeff Sanders of U-T San Diego, the Padres are simply trying to play it safe with Cashner given the circumstances involved. The 27-year-old has already had a stint on the disabled list this season due to elbow soreness, so there’s no need to push it, especially considering what he could be worth in a potential trade.
With Cashner sidelined, the Padres have called up right-hander Odrisamer Despaigne to start in his place this evening. The 27-year-old Cuban signed a $1 million deal with the Padres last month, but has struggled with his control in the minors, posting a 7.61 ERA with 29 strikeouts and 13 walks over 23 2/3 innings between Double- and Triple-A.
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 18
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 100
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 73
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 27
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (100)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)