Jun 23, 2014, 2:39 PM EDT
Josh Byrnes’ chair isn’t even cold yet, but there are already leaks about who the Padres are considering to replace him. One of them is an old friend. From Bob Nightengale of USA Today:
The club has had internal discussions about bringing back former GM Kevin Towers, according to a high-ranking club official with direct knowledge of the discussions. The person was unauthorized to divulge the discussions because the GM search is ongoing.
Towers used to be the Padres’ GM, of course. He was fired. His is likely to be fired by the Dbacks sometime this season given that Tony La Russa has been brought in to change the entire organization.
Unsolicited advice to the Padres: there is literally one team in the National League worse than you right now. Maybe hiring the guy who made them what they are is not the best idea.
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 49
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (75)