Jun 23, 2014, 2:39 PM EDT
Josh Byrnes’ chair isn’t even cold yet, but there are already leaks about who the Padres are considering to replace him. One of them is an old friend. From Bob Nightengale of USA Today:
The club has had internal discussions about bringing back former GM Kevin Towers, according to a high-ranking club official with direct knowledge of the discussions. The person was unauthorized to divulge the discussions because the GM search is ongoing.
Towers used to be the Padres’ GM, of course. He was fired. His is likely to be fired by the Dbacks sometime this season given that Tony La Russa has been brought in to change the entire organization.
Unsolicited advice to the Padres: there is literally one team in the National League worse than you right now. Maybe hiring the guy who made them what they are is not the best idea.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)