Jun 23, 2014, 2:39 PM EST
Josh Byrnes’ chair isn’t even cold yet, but there are already leaks about who the Padres are considering to replace him. One of them is an old friend. From Bob Nightengale of USA Today:
The club has had internal discussions about bringing back former GM Kevin Towers, according to a high-ranking club official with direct knowledge of the discussions. The person was unauthorized to divulge the discussions because the GM search is ongoing.
Towers used to be the Padres’ GM, of course. He was fired. His is likely to be fired by the Dbacks sometime this season given that Tony La Russa has been brought in to change the entire organization.
Unsolicited advice to the Padres: there is literally one team in the National League worse than you right now. Maybe hiring the guy who made them what they are is not the best idea.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 71
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 40
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 22
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)