Jun 23, 2014, 2:39 PM EDT
Josh Byrnes’ chair isn’t even cold yet, but there are already leaks about who the Padres are considering to replace him. One of them is an old friend. From Bob Nightengale of USA Today:
The club has had internal discussions about bringing back former GM Kevin Towers, according to a high-ranking club official with direct knowledge of the discussions. The person was unauthorized to divulge the discussions because the GM search is ongoing.
Towers used to be the Padres’ GM, of course. He was fired. His is likely to be fired by the Dbacks sometime this season given that Tony La Russa has been brought in to change the entire organization.
Unsolicited advice to the Padres: there is literally one team in the National League worse than you right now. Maybe hiring the guy who made them what they are is not the best idea.
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 10
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (91)