Jun 23, 2014, 11:16 PM EDT
When asked why he was held out of tonight’s starting lineup against the White Sox, Orioles slugger Chris Davis told reporters that it was “probably because I’ve been sucking lately.” He has to feel a little bit better about himself right now.
Davis delivered a pinch-hit walk-off three-run homer in the bottom of the ninth inning tonight to lead the Orioles to a dramatic 6-4 win over the White Sox. Chicago’s closer, Ronald Belisario, was protecting a one-run lead to begin the inning, but he quickly got into trouble after giving up a leadoff single to Steve Pearce and hitting Adam Jones with a pitch. He struck out Nelson Cruz for the first out, but Davis pinch-hit for Delmon Young and sent the Camden Yards faifthful home happy with this blast to right-center field:
Davis entered tonight’s action with just four hits in his last 36 at-bats. Talk about your slump-busters.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)