Jun 23, 2014, 11:16 PM EST
When asked why he was held out of tonight’s starting lineup against the White Sox, Orioles slugger Chris Davis told reporters that it was “probably because I’ve been sucking lately.” He has to feel a little bit better about himself right now.
Davis delivered a pinch-hit walk-off three-run homer in the bottom of the ninth inning tonight to lead the Orioles to a dramatic 6-4 win over the White Sox. Chicago’s closer, Ronald Belisario, was protecting a one-run lead to begin the inning, but he quickly got into trouble after giving up a leadoff single to Steve Pearce and hitting Adam Jones with a pitch. He struck out Nelson Cruz for the first out, but Davis pinch-hit for Delmon Young and sent the Camden Yards faifthful home happy with this blast to right-center field:
Davis entered tonight’s action with just four hits in his last 36 at-bats. Talk about your slump-busters.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27