Jun 23, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT
I mentioned this in the recaps this morning, bit it’s worth its own mention: we have reached Peak Brandon in Major League Baseball.
I’ve been meaning to look at this all season, having noticed that the Giants are fat with Brandons, complete with the Belt, Crawford and Hicks models. If Brandon Wood hadn’t been a major league bust the Giants coulda traded for him and had the elusive all-Brandon infield. So close.
But it’s not just the Giants. I went to Baseball-Reference.com and counted 41 Brandons who have played major league baseball (I didn’t count guys with Brandon as a middle name who showed up). Twenty-two of them are currently active. Another 15 of them were active no later than 2004. That’s in the entire history of Major League Baseball.
Probably also worth noting that we’re at Peak C.J. too, as five C.J.s have played major league baseball in its history, with four of them currently active (and one, Nitkowski, broadcasting). Two of them play for the Angels (Wilson and Cron).
I’m sure this is all tied up in the general popularity of names, which means we’ll likely have a lot of Aidens playing baseball in a decade or two. But I do find it rather fun. As do the Giants, who are having fun with it this weekend:
(thanks to Jen for the heads up on the All-Brandon Weekend)
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 22
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 24
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)