Jun 23, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT
I mentioned this in the recaps this morning, bit it’s worth its own mention: we have reached Peak Brandon in Major League Baseball.
I’ve been meaning to look at this all season, having noticed that the Giants are fat with Brandons, complete with the Belt, Crawford and Hicks models. If Brandon Wood hadn’t been a major league bust the Giants coulda traded for him and had the elusive all-Brandon infield. So close.
But it’s not just the Giants. I went to Baseball-Reference.com and counted 41 Brandons who have played major league baseball (I didn’t count guys with Brandon as a middle name who showed up). Twenty-two of them are currently active. Another 15 of them were active no later than 2004. That’s in the entire history of Major League Baseball.
Probably also worth noting that we’re at Peak C.J. too, as five C.J.s have played major league baseball in its history, with four of them currently active (and one, Nitkowski, broadcasting). Two of them play for the Angels (Wilson and Cron).
I’m sure this is all tied up in the general popularity of names, which means we’ll likely have a lot of Aidens playing baseball in a decade or two. But I do find it rather fun. As do the Giants, who are having fun with it this weekend:
(thanks to Jen for the heads up on the All-Brandon Weekend)
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 3
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 16
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 9
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 29
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (190)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)