Jun 24, 2014, 3:36 PM EDT
The 2014 Futures Game will, for the 16th year, pit some of the game’s top prospects against one another in a “United States vs. The World” format. Major League Baseball just announced the rosters.
Here’s the United States team:
Here’s The World:
We’re not the biggest prospect hounds around here, but there are certainly some recognizable names. Mookie Betts. Noah Syndergaard. Joey Gallo. Christian Bethancourt. Francisco Lindor. Major League Baseball’s press release highlighted the U.S. team’s Kris Bryant, who was the second overall selection of the 2013 Draft, and the World Team’s Javier Baez, who was the ninth overall pick of the 2011 Draft. Both of them play in the Cubs’ organization, so viva Chicago. I’m sure, however, you will recognize some of your favorite team’s promising young gentlemen.
There are 15 former first round draft picks, six players picked in Compensation Round and five second round picks. For the World Team, the Dominican Republic is represented by nine players, followed by Puerto Rico with seven, Venezuela with three and Colombia with two. Canada, Cuba, Mexico and Panama each have one player on the World Team. The seven for Puerto Rico are the most they’ve had in over a decade, which I’m sure Major League Baseball will publicize given their recent efforts and trying to build the talent pipeline from Puerto Rico.
The game is at 5pm on the Sunday before the All-Star Game.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 74
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 17
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (75)