Jun 24, 2014, 3:36 PM EST
The 2014 Futures Game will, for the 16th year, pit some of the game’s top prospects against one another in a “United States vs. The World” format. Major League Baseball just announced the rosters.
Here’s the United States team:
Here’s The World:
We’re not the biggest prospect hounds around here, but there are certainly some recognizable names. Mookie Betts. Noah Syndergaard. Joey Gallo. Christian Bethancourt. Francisco Lindor. Major League Baseball’s press release highlighted the U.S. team’s Kris Bryant, who was the second overall selection of the 2013 Draft, and the World Team’s Javier Baez, who was the ninth overall pick of the 2011 Draft. Both of them play in the Cubs’ organization, so viva Chicago. I’m sure, however, you will recognize some of your favorite team’s promising young gentlemen.
There are 15 former first round draft picks, six players picked in Compensation Round and five second round picks. For the World Team, the Dominican Republic is represented by nine players, followed by Puerto Rico with seven, Venezuela with three and Colombia with two. Canada, Cuba, Mexico and Panama each have one player on the World Team. The seven for Puerto Rico are the most they’ve had in over a decade, which I’m sure Major League Baseball will publicize given their recent efforts and trying to build the talent pipeline from Puerto Rico.
The game is at 5pm on the Sunday before the All-Star Game.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)