And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights

Jun 24, 2014, 6:44 AM EST

Screen Shot 2014-06-24 at 6.04.17 AM Getty Images

Cardinals 8, Rockies 0: Matt Adams had two homers and drove in six. After the game he was asked why he’s been so dialed-in lately and he said “I’m laying off the sliders and the curveballs from the lefties.” One of his homers was off a righty last night, but let him go he’s on a roll.  In other news Lance Lynn allowed only three hits in eight shutout innings. It was the first time the Rockies were shutout at Coors Field since July of last year.

Mariners 12, Red Sox 3: Logan Morrison joined Adams in the two-homer club last night. If they take their ticket stubs to Dairy Queen they are entitled to a free Dilly Bar. Or was it a Mr. Misty? I forget. Probably not important. Anyway, this was the fourth straight win for Seattle and the first winning decision for Felix Hernandez since the beginning of the month, despite the fact that he’s pitched fantastically in his two no-decisions and one loss since then. Amazing what a little run support will do.

Marlins 4, Phillies 0: Nate Eovaldi with six shutout innings and four relievers to finish it off. Eovaldi had been shelled the last few times out and 12 of his 19 outs here were fly balls, so he was kind of dancing with the devil in the pale moonlight (in other news happy birthday Tim Burton’s Batman). But results matter most, so let’s not imagine what might have happened if Eovaldi were facing a team that squared him up a bit more last night.

Orioles 6, White Sox 4: Someone on a radio show asked me yesterday who I thought had an extra gear in the AL East. I said Baltimore, because Chris Davis hasn’t been Chris Davis so far this year and if he turns it around it’s like adding a big time slugger during the season. Yesterday, despite starting the game on the bench because of his general suckitude of late and because Chris Sale was pitching, Davis came in for a pinch-hit, three-run walkoff homer.

Nationals 4, Brewers 0: That “add a big piece by merely fixing one of your previously-existing broken ones” thing works for the Nationals and Gio Gonzalez too. After ineffectiveness and a stint on the DL, Gonzalez was sometimes shaky — he waled four guys in six innings — but otherwise shut the Brewers out while he was in the game. His mates shut them out while they were in the game. Adam LaRoche hit a three-run homer for all the O the curly W’s would need.

Editor’s Note: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $35,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Tuesday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on TuesdayHere’s the FanDuel link.

Blue Jays 8, Yankees 3: The Yankees have given a name to their pain, and it is Adam Lind. A three-run homer and four RBI, to hand the Yankees their third straight loss.

Reds 6, Cubs 1: Tied 1-1 into the ninth and then — bam! — a five-run inning, capped by a Devin Mesoraco grand slam. It was his fourth game in a row in which he hit a homer.

Pirates 8, Rays 1: Pedro Alvarez had a three-run homer in the fourth and Edinson Volquez rebounded from a nightmare start last Wednesday to allow one run over eight. The Rays hit into three double plays behind him.

Padres 6, Giants 0: Odrisamer Despaigne made his big league debut, taking the place of Andrew Cashner, and he did not disappoint. All he did was throw seven scoreless innings. He was signed just a couple months ago by Josh Byrnes, who just got canned. I wonder if he watched the game and if he did, I wonder how he felt.

Royals 5, Dodgers 3: The Royals beat up their old friend Zack Greinke and snapped their four game losing streak. Well, maybe he’s not their old friend. A lot of them didn’t even play with him. Of those who did,, maybe he was a jerk to them. Maybe he was really close friends with, like, Billy Butler but he and Alex Gordon had a falling out over a poker game? You never can know these things.

1. aresachaela - Jun 24, 2014 at 6:52 AM

Good thing I haven’t watch the game cause….

HOLY MOLLY…

Yeanks got trashed…..

• renaado - Jun 24, 2014 at 7:21 AM

That’s 3 games for em, and now back at 3rd place.

Might as well just watch when “Ma-kun” takes the mound.

• aresachaela - Jun 24, 2014 at 7:24 AM

Tell…. me…. something….. I……. Don’t….. KNOW!!

(Question: could that new pic of yours be the Manila Sharks?)

• renaado - Jun 24, 2014 at 7:28 AM

“(Question: could that new pic of yours be the Manila Sharks?)”

2. uyf1950 - Jun 24, 2014 at 6:56 AM

Whitley couldn’t get anyone out in the 2nd inning. I half expected the final score to be like 48-2 fortunately or as circumstances would have it it was only 8-3, but still a loss for the Yankees.

That’s just one game of a 3 game series. Taking the next 2 would sure take away some of that bitter pill of yesterdays beat down.

On the bright side both Huff and Kelly looked very good in relief. Some of that could be the Jays hitters were exhausted for hitting the first 3 plus innings.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 24, 2014 at 6:59 AM

Buehrle pitches for the Jays tonight.

• uyf1950 - Jun 24, 2014 at 7:08 AM

And your point is, my friend? Phelps pitches for the Yankees tonight, I’m hoping Phelps can continue the pitching he’s had the last 2 outings against your Jays and the A’s. We’ll see.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 24, 2014 at 7:29 AM

It should be fun. The Yankees will have to adjust to a lefty who throws 10 MPH slower than the pitcher they faced yesterday.

• aresachaela - Jun 24, 2014 at 7:11 AM

Phelps will win I’ll tell you! I’m betting my TV!!

• proudlycanadian - Jun 24, 2014 at 7:30 AM

Used TV’s aren’t worth much these days.

• aresachaela - Jun 24, 2014 at 7:33 AM

WHA!!

It’s a flat screen ;-)!

• Old Gator - Jun 24, 2014 at 7:13 AM

And here I am, right in your front yard, PC, and going to the game tonight. A smoked meat sandwich from Yitz’s Deli reclines in my contented belly this morning. I tried to get to Ben and Izzy’s and take up Shayna on her recommendation yesterday but Bathurst was crawling north like a python stuck in a culvert – all the Yeshivas up that way apparently let out at the same time – so I just took the right on Eglinton and did the trefe thing instead, but that gave me an opportunity to pick up a pound of their exquisite chocolate ruggelach as a house gift for my friend tonight (made more sense than a silver plated torah pointer from the Haddassah shop for a goysiche family, you know?)

As for the Feesh, well, apparently they were able to clamber back onto the strange attractor, using the tatters of gossamer reality waves for handholds. Speaking of pythons, after getting up at three in the morning for my eyebooger flight north, I was busy digesting that huge smoked meat sandwich and dozed orf with my laptop on my paunch so I wasted a night’s worth of my MLB.com subscription. But I awakened a happy man on two fronts.

More direct from Rogers’ stately pleasure dome tomorrow AM….

• proudlycanadian - Jun 24, 2014 at 7:26 AM

1) Enjoy the game. 2) I am glad that you had your nosh of deli food. 3) Why would anyone travel on Bathurst?

• Old Gator - Jun 24, 2014 at 7:59 AM

Because Ben and Izzy’s is on Bathurst between Wilson and Ranee. I was coming up Bathurst from downtown. Yes. Mistake. But you realize that at that time of day there is really NO northbound route that’s less painful, yes? Thank Buddha for my CDs. And thank Buddha for the subway construction under Eglinton that has most folks too scared to use it anymore.

If Shayna chimes in at all today, I was minded of an old story from theshtetls my grandmother told me when I was a child, which I would like to relate to her. I didn’t quite catch the significance of it back then, but driving up through all those yeshivot after dinner last night (I was determined at least to locate Ben and Izzy’s for lunch tomorrow) I couldn’t help reflect on it, and upon how such ancient wisdom can be wasted upon youth (which is another way of saying that signing broken down journeymen like Rafael Furcal for their VETERAN PRESENCE probably does the rookies a lot less good than the GMs seem to think it does).

• groupofsevenrules - Jun 24, 2014 at 8:20 AM

I am back, uneaten by bears – saw a couple, in fact, but never got close. I may look stupid but I’m not. Gator, have you ever hiked Jasper?

I see your Feesh tumbled a bit while we were out of touch. And I see the Jays have been treading water, too. Okay, now that I’m paying attention again, maybe I’ll have that good old fashioned quantum oberserver’s influence on events again and the Beavermen will right themselves.

OG – do we HAVE to wait for Shayna to hear that story?

• Shayna - Jun 24, 2014 at 2:57 PM

I’m here, I’m here! Sorry to be so late, and embarrassed that Bathurst did not part before you, Gater, to hasten your arrival at Ben and Izzy. Too bad that you weren’t there for last night’s game; it seems to have been a lot of fun. As for your shtetl story, please cough it up as soon as possible. No fair to leave us all in suspense.

By the way, speaking of stories, for reasons too complicated to explain, I was re-reading a baseball piece by Roger Angell last night and came across this passage discussing the late Geo. Steinbrenner’s apoplectic response to his Yankees’ refusal to win as he expected:

“What makes any hard-fought, well-played game so attractive and interesting is the perfect unpredictability of the outcome when a player is up at the plate or out on the pitcher’s mound, alone before the crowd and entirely in charge of his own fortunes–exactly the opposite situation and view of things that we have about our own jobs and most of the rest of our lives.”

Ain’t it the truth!

• aresachaela - Jun 24, 2014 at 7:09 AM

First Whitley loss… AND PROBABLY THE WORSE ONE!!

3. proudlycanadian - Jun 24, 2014 at 6:57 AM

The Jays faced Chase Whitley last week and were ready for the rookie last night. They hit him hard and chased Whitley early. Last week, Toronto rookie and Long Island native, Marcus Stroman allowed the Yankees to run up his pitch count early. He did not go very deep into the game. Stroman learned his lesson and only gave up 1 run over 8 strong innings last night. New York’s backup short stop, Ryan is known for his play in the field and made a terrific play to rob Tolleson of a hit. The Captain would not have gotten to that ball. Ryan also hit a fly to the right field fence that Anthony Gose (subbing for Bautista) made a terrific catch on.

• uyf1950 - Jun 24, 2014 at 7:04 AM

Just a personal observation on my part. The Jays are a completely different team when they play the Yankees at the Rogers Center as opposed to playing the Yankees at Yankees Stadium. I cast my vote for all 19 in season games with the Jays to be played at Yankees Stadium.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 24, 2014 at 7:27 AM

For some unknown reason, the Jays have not won at Yankee Stadium for a long time.

• aresachaela - Jun 24, 2014 at 7:30 AM

*Mind boggling…

• cur68 - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:24 PM

There was a big difference in style of hitting last night. A lot of opposite way and ground ball shots instead of lofting them in the air. Kevin Seitzer has been preaching ball contact and hitting the opposite way. Against The Yankees this works like a charm. Had they played like that in NYS then it would have been a different offensive team. They can’t depend on the long ball all the time. Also, working on that good infield defence really helps. They flashed some leather there at first.

• nbjays - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:24 PM

I’d argue that the Yankees are a different team as well, at least going by last night.

• nbjays - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Stroman was pretty dominant last night. 8 innings complete and only gave up 3 hits and one run, the same as Whitley gave up in the first inning, which was a stellar inning compared to the second. Nice to see the bats come alive, especially since a lot of the hits in the first and second were the other way, against the shift. The Kevin Seitzer Method is working well.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Agreed!

4. rossjcook - Jun 24, 2014 at 7:32 AM

Um…I know from decades of self-abuse that the Cubs are awful…but I didn’t realize that they were so bad that they could take a 1-1 tie into the ninth and then retroactively lose in the fifth inning. The Cubs are meddling in time travel and still managing to screw it up.

• rossjcook - Jun 24, 2014 at 8:36 AM

Craig, that didn’t mean that you should fix the post. I think it’s very Cub-like the way you originally had it. :)

Go Cubbies.

5. southpaw2k - Jun 24, 2014 at 7:39 AM

Chris Davis pulled a Rocket Raccoon last night.

“BLAM! MURDERED YOU!”

6. Eutaw's Finest - Jun 24, 2014 at 7:43 AM

What a game by the O’s last night! No, no… that’s a bad assessment. I meant to say “What a heavy dose of Orioles Magic that fell on Chris Davis last night in an otherwise lackluster game.”

The O’s ran up a season high 11 hits on Sale through 5 innings last night, and had chances to run him out of the game with bases loaded in the 4th, and AGAIN in the 5th with none out. And the O’s didn’t manage a single run. The closest they got was Pearce driving one to 409ft at the 410ft wall to end the 4th. The O’s were 2 for 11 with RISP and had 10 LOB. You can only be so lucky to have Belisario just lofting fastballs up there last night.

Granted last night was an anomaly for the O’s who are tied for 2nd in MLB for BA w/ RISP (.273) but they stole one last night without a doubt. The best advice I can give them (since they’ll listen to me, obviously)? The team, as a whole, seems to be swinging for the fences every time they have men on, and the plate discipline completely disappears. I think they had 3 more 1st pitch outs last night against Sale. You have a pitcher on the ropes nearing 100 pitches through 5 before you have a single out, and you’re hacking at the first pitch? Come on man…

• southpaw2k - Jun 24, 2014 at 8:05 AM

Adam Jones was quite gentlemanly in letting Chris Davis taste the pie before pieing him in the face.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jun 24, 2014 at 9:12 AM

It was a makeup home run for the one they gave the Yankees 3 days prior….Really takes the sting out of that loss. Really happy for Davis, who took the benching like a man instead of what has been the norm in sports this day and didn’t act like a self-entitled little brat. Could you imagine if it was David Ortiz who was benched after a 1-29 outing? You’d see a scorers head on the end of a splintered bat.

• Eutaw's Finest - Jun 24, 2014 at 9:14 AM

“You’d see a scorers head on the end of a splintered bat.”

Or bashed in with the dugout phone.

• clydeserra - Jun 24, 2014 at 2:39 PM

I believe something would be changed somewhere making it 4-29 for ortiz, so he is on the mend

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jun 24, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Also worth noting, the Orioles have beaten two separate team’s aces in back to back games. Both pitchers are among the best in the league.

• Eutaw's Finest - Jun 24, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Well, TECHNICALLY they didn’t beat Sale. They beat the ChiSox in a Sale start, since Belisario was the pitcher of record. But like I said, 11 hits, 10 LOB and 2-12 w/ RISP? Should have crushed Sale.

7. jimmyt - Jun 24, 2014 at 7:56 AM

“One of his homers was off a righty last night, but let him go he’s on a roll.”

CC, how did you get into this business?

• Old Gator - Jun 24, 2014 at 8:03 AM

He needed a source of income after he was disbarred for witholding evidence in the World’s Greatest Monster case.

8. kycardsfan - Jun 24, 2014 at 8:12 AM

Where are all my Matt Adams doubters? I don’t know what more he can do. Dude is healthy and RAKING

• stex52 - Jun 24, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Doubter here. I hasten to add that he is on my fantasy team, so I’m pretty knowledgeable on his stats. He is on a roll right now, and I think his comment about handling lefties shows a keen awareness of what his problem is. But to date this year:

1. Before the DL stint his power had disappeared. Three HR in almost half a season.
      2. He took no walks, so while his BA looked great, his OBP was merely around average.
      3. He was a nightmare against lefties. He was headed rapidly for a platoon job with Craig and Taveras.

This is great right now, but still small sample size. I am rooting for the kid, but we need a couple of months of this. The Cards need it, too.

• SocraticGadfly - Jun 24, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Paper Lions is speaking other teh stupidz on the thread about the Gonzales call-up.

For Stex: Even before he went on the DL, he still was an above-average 1B. That’s going by B-Ref, Wins Above Average, which obviously compares a player to the MLB average. As of today, his OPS and OPS+ are *above* those of last year. His isolated power is down, but only a tad. He’s on track for a 4-WAR year.

He’s not Miggy Cabrera, or 2009 Albert Pujols, but, who is?

• SocraticGadfly - Jun 24, 2014 at 11:37 AM

(That said, I’m not sure whether Lions or Whitefalcon is more of a “downer” on Adams. They’re both “less than touters,” though, I know that.)

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 24, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Paper understands baseball, you – not so much.

Why on earth would the Rays ever be interested in Shelby Miller? They already have Jeremy Hellickson. Same guy. Lance Lynn stinks.

Here are the guys of possible interest to the Rays in trade for Price: Taveras, Gonzales, Piscotty, Reyes.

If you don’t offer Taveras, it probably costs the other 3.

• stex52 - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:18 PM

I’m not trashing Adams as a complete failure. Right now his figures look awesome. Here are some components to worry about.

1. He adjusted to the shift by trying to hit the other way. This really cut into his power for April/May. He seems to have come back from the DL ready to bang again, which is probably better for the Cards. If he gives up some BA for power I think they are ahead.
        2. He doesn’t walk much. So his OBP is only fair.
        3. His figures are inflated because he sits most of the time against lefties. OPS=.483(!!). So he may still end up getting platooned.
        4. Eight homers at this point in the season is not so bad. But five of those homers are in the last 11 days. We will know more about his development in a month.

• SocraticGadfly - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:20 PM

@Un, I’ll take your comment for all the value it demonstrates. And, that said …

First, Lynn doesn’t “stink.” Second, he’s a skoosh above Hellickson, arguably. Shelby Miller, if this year’s early-season high walks total is an aberration (which it might be, but unclear yet) is a couple of skooshes above Hellickson.

I mentioned Reyes in my blog as being part of a trade. I mentioned one of the younger OFs, if Jay isn’t enticement. I also mentioned Greg Garcia. (It’s called negotiations.)

Contra Lions, and you, I’d be VERY surprised if Mo includes Gonzales in a Price trade, should it happen.

Per a column by the Tampa Bay Times’ Marc Topkin, and whom he lists as a likely trade package from other teams, I think my Cards’ suggestion actually stacks up reasonably well. He says:

Angels: 1B C.J. Cron, 2B Alex Yarbrough
        Blue Jays: RHP Aaron Sanchez, RHP Alberto Tirado
        White Sox: 2B Micah Johnson, RHP Erik Johnson, RHP Chris Beck
        Yankees: C Gary Sanchez, RHP Luis Severino, C Peter O’Brien
        Braves: LHP Alex Wood, RHP Lucas Sims, additional pitching prospect

Most those offers lean more to the minors, and more to AA even, than what I suggested.

• SocraticGadfly - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:23 PM

@Stex: WAA and WAR take into account total performance against, respectively, peers and call-ups, so the platoon issue, while relevant on OPS and OBP, is irrelevant on WAA and WAR.

• stex52 - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:49 PM

But not irrelevant for the team or the player. It still presents a problem and a team weakness. It is a counting metric for season stats. If he could develop a plan against lefties he might be a legitimate all-star and the Cards could worry a lot less about platooning with more marginal players.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Among 95 starters with enough innings pitched to qualify, Miller is 89th out of 95. He stinks on ice. Only a St. Louis homer could see him the way you do. Lynn is a total mediocrity – that’s what he guarantees you – absolute mediocrity. The Rays have no interest in either of those pitchers as a part of a Price deal, or in general. Nor should they.

The Braves, Yankees and Jays have much more to offer in trade if the Cards won’t discuss Taveras. The guys cited by Topkin alone blow anything you “offered” out of the water. Greg Garcia is not interesting to anyone.

Piscotty and Gonazales are almost identical quantities. They’re “o.k.” prospects along the lines of what the White Sox and Angels have listed in the Topkin article.

Your analytical abilities leave so very much to be desired that you see fit to insult those who disagree rather than actually put forth a cogent argument of your own. This is very sad and feeble-minded of you.

• SocraticGadfly - Jun 24, 2014 at 3:04 PM

@Stex, I’ll buy that back. But, per my WAR/WAA angle, I’ll take Adams plus “having to” platoon him as a 1B option vs. about 2/3 of what is trotted out at MLB teams right now.

• SocraticGadfly - Jun 24, 2014 at 3:15 PM

@UM: First, I never said the Cards **shouldn’t discuss** Taveras, and I have no idea where you got that from. I only said that I wouldn’t make him the first OF I’d offer to Tampa as part of a deal. That’s a big difference. If your name’s not Barack Obama, do you normally enter negotiations showing your full hand to the other side?

Second, Gonzales vs. Taveras? I think most GMs would, all other things being equal, value a starting lefty pitcher prospect over a corner OF prospect.

Third, if we get past a “starting point” of what I say under “first,” Miller/Taveras/Alexander Reyes is as good or better than what the Rays should expect from other teams, per the Topkin piece.

Fourth, if you think the opening of my previous comment to you was an insult, you’ve got a narrow definition of the word. If you’re referring to my comment about paperlions, you’ve probably not seen every comment back and forth since I started regularly commenting here.

Fifth, I’ve already indicated what I’ve thought of your analytical abilities, so I don’t care what you think of mine.

Sixth, I’ve provided a nice, enumerated list, thereby refuting you anyway.

So, have a nice day.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 24, 2014 at 4:02 PM

I feel like I’m arguing with the little old lady with the pictures taped to her wall. That’s not how this works, that’s not how any of this works!

You think prospect rankings start by taking every LHP and they’re all better than every corner OF? For the love of Dog …

Nothing you say makes any sense. If you want to have your ridiculous little homer blog and see everything with Cardinal-colored glasses, that’s fine. But stay in your lane. Don’t come here and argue with the adults. Don’t insult Paper when he wasn’t even here chatting with you.

“I’ll take your comment for all the value it illustrates.” That’s an insult, and here is another. You are an idiotic child trapped inside a fool of an adult. Just stop talking, champ.

• SocraticGadfly - Jun 24, 2014 at 4:14 PM

@Un … Actually, Paperlions refutes you, from a thread on Lance Lynn. God, I love this:

If the Cardinals offered Taveras, Miller, and Reyes for Price. The Rays would box him up and and send him overnight with free shipping and handling.

That’s why I noted the difference between top-end and final offers, and negotiations, and said on that thread that that would be my final offer, not the initial one.

Get.A.Clue.

• SocraticGadfly - Jun 24, 2014 at 4:27 PM

@Un, more. Otherwise, Paper and I were talking back and forth on the Gonzales call-up thread. He knows what I think; I know what he thinks. We know we disagree on some other things, like the insight level of Bernie Miklasz, and that’s that.

==

My blog? If you read all my Cards threads, you’d realize I’m not a “homer.” If you read all my BB threads, you’d realize I don’t just write about the Cards. If you read all my sports threads, you’d realize I don’t just write about baseball. If you read the whole blog, you’d realize that I primarily write about politics. General social sciences issues, plus philosophy and religion, comes second. Sports comes third.

But, no, you’re fixated on one particular blog post, which seems to underscore the issue of which one of us is a “homer.”

• SocraticGadfly - Jun 24, 2014 at 4:21 PM

@Um … otherwise, Paper and I were talking back and forth on the Gonzales call-up thread. He knows what I think; I know what he thinks. We know we disagree on some other things, like the insight level of Bernie Miklasz, and that’s that.

9. indaburg - Jun 24, 2014 at 8:18 AM

The combo of Polanco, Martre, and McCutchen was a lot of fun to watch last night. We don’t often play the Pirates, so I don’t get to see them much. The energy and enthusiasm–they just ran at will. Like the Rays’ announcer Brian Anderson said, they’re running like their lives depended on it. Also, that McCutchen fellow. He’s pretty good at baseball.

• stex52 - Jun 24, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Ya think? :-) You are right, Indy. Cutch is just fun to watch. One understands why he is so popular in Pittsburgh.

• stex52 - Jun 24, 2014 at 8:46 AM

The Censor stripped the smiley face from my comment. Good morning, Indy.

• indaburg - Jun 24, 2014 at 10:36 AM

G’morning, stex. :-)

10. nvl004 - Jun 24, 2014 at 8:19 AM

Hopefully that gets things turned around for Chris Davis. We don’t need him to be a 50 homer guy, but get the average up around .260 and hit Timely homeruns. And ill say it again, and hopefully keep saying it. Another pretty good start by an Orioles starting pitcher. Chen could have went farther if he could have found away to keep the foul balls down that drove up his pitch count. But unlike last month the bullpen isn’t gased at the moment.

• Eutaw's Finest - Jun 24, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Chen hit 45 pitches through 2 innings, which would leave any starter on a short leash. He did manage to keep it under 13 pitches for the next 3 innings but got wild again in the 6th.

But the rotation looks to be MUCH improved. Consistency from Ubaldo and Gonzalez would make for a nice 5. If not? Gausman is waiting in the wings and some Bundy kid might make an appearance in August.

11. unclemosesgreen - Jun 24, 2014 at 8:20 AM

They were running like they were playing a terrible defense or something.

12. tellyspop - Jun 24, 2014 at 8:22 AM

The Conch Republic Rays went down in ignominious defeat yesterday to Captain Morgan’s boys. Garnering only one run, the floating carpet baggers gave up eight runs in the loss.The Rays remain in the Marianas Trench of the junior circuit.

Rays of Light
    17 year old Chelsea Baker, female knuckleball pitcher, threw batting practice to the big club yesterday. Taught by legendary Joey “Knucks” Niekro, the slender right hander with grace and command, bejeweled and bejeezed Conch batsman.

Manager Joe Maddon stated: “Chelsea’s knuckleball is real. She hit Longo in the back. I loved it. With that pitch and her composure she can compete.” @RaysJoeMaddon
    Manager Joe went on to say Chelsea has more grit than seven oat bread.

Squeeb@IPityTheFo reports from CBS Sports Chelsea will sign a contract and start the second game of the double header against Baltimore this Friday.

This report filed by Tellyspop embedded aboard the jet ski “Busted Flush” docked next to the Mai Tiki bar at the end of the World, Cocoa Beach Pier, Cocoa Beach, in the FLA. 28 22, 03.61″ N 80 36, 02. 06 W

• Old Gator - Jun 24, 2014 at 11:47 AM

A Floridian’s note to the befuddled: “Conch Republic” relates to an unfortunate historical episode regarding the fiercely independent (and naive) spongers and conch fishermen of Key West, which tellyspop here has bestowed upon the fiercely independent (and naive) haploids of the team that plays within the bowels of the Tropicana Tumulus. Pretty funny, ackcherley.

13. unclemosesgreen - Jun 24, 2014 at 8:23 AM

Today’s all-name team: The Free-Range Letter All-Stars:

SP – Jhoulys Chacin
    RP – Jenrry Mejia, Donn Roach

C – Jhonathan Solano
    1B – Kennys Vargas
    2B – Jedd Gyorko
    SS – Erick Aybar
    3B – Jhonny Peralta
    LF – Jayson Nix
    CF – Torii Hunter
    RF – Laynce Nix

I’d like to give a lifetime achievement award and my undying gratitude to Mrs. Nix, for giving us two free-range letter children. Bless you, ma’am.

• historiophiliac - Jun 24, 2014 at 8:33 AM

How do you keep your autocorrect from changing that to “Julie’s Chicken”?

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 24, 2014 at 8:35 AM

My auto-correct has been trained to accept much more outlandish things. Hee-hee

• historiophiliac - Jun 24, 2014 at 8:38 AM

Mine changes all my swears. It’s like having my mother in my phone.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 24, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Mine changes the most benign words into swears – it’s also like having my mother in my phone.

14. historiophiliac - Jun 24, 2014 at 8:27 AM

I caught the ending of the O’s game and it was exciting. Then, I switched to Mariners-BoSox. I’d say that was more than a little run support there, Craig. Anyway, Boston’s defense was a mess. They were turrible. They loaded the bases, someone scored on a wild pitch, the fielder hangs onto the ball instead of at least trying to get the runner, and Lackey doesn’t make it to first to cover. What a highlight reel of Things Not To Do on Defense. Whew. Not Boston’s best night. But, really, does anyone look intimidating in teal?

15. natstowngreg - Jun 24, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Gio Gonzalez is an excitable young man. This endears him to us denizens of Nats Town. It also, on occasion, harms his pitching. Last night, he was barely able to hold it together, throwing 114 pitches in 6 innings, walking 4. However, at the end of those 6 innings, the Brewers had not scored. The Nats have allowed one run total in the last 3 games.

Matt Williams got tossed for the first time, for arguing balls and strikes. Specifically, a strike call against Danny Espinosa with the bases loaded in the 2nd. We knew, when he was hired, that Matt has a certain, shall we say, intensity. He’s held it in check, for the most part.

Adam LaRoche did, indeed, provide the necessary offense against Matt Garza. For some Nats fans, Adam was a scapegoat for last year’s failures, when many players could share the blame. Granted, his .237/.332/.403 line was, not to put too fine a point on it, bad. Granted, it’s not unusual for power hitters to decline (sometimes, dramatically) when they reach his ago (34). Granted, his .310/.424/.495 line thus far is unsustainable.

It’s just nice to see him have a late-career renaissance of sorts. It’s also been very handy for a team that has missed a couple of bats from its lineup, due to injuries.

16. gloccamorra - Jun 24, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Bud Black was tossed for arguing a reversed replay (a Grandal homer was turned into a fan interference double) which is automatic. Was he the first to make a bonehead argument? Somebody must be keeping records! BTW the fan who reached over and caught the ball also got tossed by Giants security. Is that standard practice, or are the Giants meanies?

• stex52 - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:27 PM

They would be tossed in Houston.

17. scoobies05 - Jun 24, 2014 at 1:01 PM

not a great game by the Orioles. too many wasted offensive opportunities. but what a great win! go o’s!

18. musketmaniac - Jun 24, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Pirates outfield is scary. And now the pitching is strengthening, look out.

• stex52 - Jun 24, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Possible. I think they need one more pitcher and one more hitter. But they have some very talented pieces.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5293)