Jun 24, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT
For a couple of years now, Phillies fans and radio yakkers have given Jimmy Rollins crap for not wanting to waive his no-trade rights. This despite the fact that he has not, to anyone’s knowledge anyway, actually been asked to for an imminent deal yet. They just know he’s selfish and stuff for not … um, wanting to stay on the team and help them win? Man, I have no idea how that logic works.
Anyway, Chase Utley has 10-and-5 no-trade rights too. And unlike Rollins he’s actually having a great year. That would seem to make him a pretty tasty trade target, no? Well, no. Todd Zolecki of MLB.com reports:
Utley has indicated his desire to remain in Philadelphia, but what if the team begins a long rebuilding effort?
“Well, you’re creating situations that aren’t necessarily going to happen,” Utley told MLB.com. “I guess we’d have to see at that point, but I don’t plan on going anywhere.”
Comments like that got Rollins raked over the coals. Will it happen to Utley?
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 0
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 9
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 9
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 77
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)