Jun 24, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT
For a couple of years now, Phillies fans and radio yakkers have given Jimmy Rollins crap for not wanting to waive his no-trade rights. This despite the fact that he has not, to anyone’s knowledge anyway, actually been asked to for an imminent deal yet. They just know he’s selfish and stuff for not … um, wanting to stay on the team and help them win? Man, I have no idea how that logic works.
Anyway, Chase Utley has 10-and-5 no-trade rights too. And unlike Rollins he’s actually having a great year. That would seem to make him a pretty tasty trade target, no? Well, no. Todd Zolecki of MLB.com reports:
Utley has indicated his desire to remain in Philadelphia, but what if the team begins a long rebuilding effort?
“Well, you’re creating situations that aren’t necessarily going to happen,” Utley told MLB.com. “I guess we’d have to see at that point, but I don’t plan on going anywhere.”
Comments like that got Rollins raked over the coals. Will it happen to Utley?
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 3
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 5
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)