Jun 24, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT
For a couple of years now, Phillies fans and radio yakkers have given Jimmy Rollins crap for not wanting to waive his no-trade rights. This despite the fact that he has not, to anyone’s knowledge anyway, actually been asked to for an imminent deal yet. They just know he’s selfish and stuff for not … um, wanting to stay on the team and help them win? Man, I have no idea how that logic works.
Anyway, Chase Utley has 10-and-5 no-trade rights too. And unlike Rollins he’s actually having a great year. That would seem to make him a pretty tasty trade target, no? Well, no. Todd Zolecki of MLB.com reports:
Utley has indicated his desire to remain in Philadelphia, but what if the team begins a long rebuilding effort?
“Well, you’re creating situations that aren’t necessarily going to happen,” Utley told MLB.com. “I guess we’d have to see at that point, but I don’t plan on going anywhere.”
Comments like that got Rollins raked over the coals. Will it happen to Utley?
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)