Chase Utley does not plan to waive his no-trade rights

Jun 24, 2014, 11:33 AM EST

Chase Utley Chase Utley

For a couple of years now, Phillies fans and radio yakkers have given Jimmy Rollins crap for not wanting to waive his no-trade rights. This despite the fact that he has not, to anyone’s knowledge anyway, actually been asked to for an imminent deal yet. They just know he’s selfish and stuff for not … um, wanting to stay on the team and help them win?  Man, I have no idea how that logic works.

Anyway, Chase Utley has 10-and-5 no-trade rights too. And unlike Rollins he’s actually having a great year. That would seem to make him a pretty tasty trade target, no? Well, no. Todd Zolecki of MLB.com reports:

Utley has indicated his desire to remain in Philadelphia, but what if the team begins a long rebuilding effort?

“Well, you’re creating situations that aren’t necessarily going to happen,” Utley told MLB.com. “I guess we’d have to see at that point, but I don’t plan on going anywhere.”

Comments like that got Rollins raked over the coals. Will it happen to Utley?

(via MLB Trade Rumors)

1. flyinhighwithvick - Jun 24, 2014 at 11:39 AM

No because Utley plays hard and keeps his mouth shut. Rollins doesn’t. How many times has Utley been benched for not running out a fly ball?

• chadjones27 - Jun 24, 2014 at 1:19 PM

twice

2. gothapotamus90210 - Jun 24, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Chase didn’t cite an intention to stay merely to break records.

As a Phillies fan, I hope he agrees to a trade because he deserves better than this.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 24, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Exactly – it’s not an apples to apples comparison at all. Mind you, I never criticized Rollins for what he said. But he did not say he wanted to stay in Philly. He said he wanted to break a record. Big difference

• dangle13x - Jun 24, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Solid baiting Craig. You might as well have said ” will Philly get mad at the white guy like they did the black guy?”. Not the same thing. You are, per usual, an embarrassment.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Get angry much? :)

I’m not your advisor, but you could have picked a better one to post that reply to.

You have a nice day

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:53 PM

DPF – dangle is a mental midget and hopeless troll. Don’t take it personally.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:59 PM

heh-heh, yea, but it’s so much fun to fight a guy like that :)

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 24, 2014 at 1:00 PM

meh – that’s about as much fun as a hammer has hitting a nail.

• paperlions - Jun 24, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Sure….but how do we know that Utley would do the same thing is such a record was within reach?

It is easy to not say such a thing when it doesn’t apply to you.

• gothapotamus90210 - Jun 24, 2014 at 2:04 PM

If he did do the same thing, he wouldn’t be dumb enough to say it to the press.

• paperlions - Jun 24, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Probably true.

3. ochospantalones - Jun 24, 2014 at 11:41 AM

In fairness, I think what Jimmy got criticized for was the implication that he WOULD waive his no trade rights, but only after he broke Mike Schmidt’s career hits record. That’s what looked selfish. I don’t actually have a problem with Jimmy doing that (he earned his 10-and-5 rights, he can use them how he sees fit) but it is a different situation than the Utley situation.

• xmatt0926x - Jun 24, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Please don’t add those pesky details to the debate.

• kevinbnyc - Jun 24, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Seriously. All that logic is ruining the fun of seeing the Phans get all touchy about how bad and old their team is.

4. octom - Jun 24, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Believe Utley said he would have to see; not an unequivocal no.

• flyinhighwithvick - Jun 24, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Consider the author of the article. He has nothing better to write about besides the Phillies and their fans. Conveniently made no mention of the sweep in an empty Turner Field last week.

• gloccamorra - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Good point, octom. A pro knows how to handle a hypothetical question without slamming any doors, and Utley did just that.

5. bmcintyre89 - Jun 24, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Utley is doing much worse the past month as he can’t keep it up for an entire season with his degenerative health problems.

6. 18thstreet - Jun 24, 2014 at 11:46 AM

My prediction is that the people who get mad about things will get mad about this, and justify their inconsistency somehow.

Wait, is this the David Ortiz thread? Nevermind — it works here, too.

7. jpash42 - Jun 24, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Again, your lack of knowledge and just pure trolling and hate shows thru again Craig. People were upset because Jimmy said he wouldn’t waive his no trade clause to break personal records. Utley is just saying he’d rather not go anywhere. A lot of people saw it as being selfish, because every true Phils fan knows that Jimmy has taken games off, shown up late for games (multiple times) not run balls out, have a lazy swing here and there… Utley has never done that and for that reason it’s prob why the Phils would rather keep Utley as a building block to teach the younger kids how it’s done.

• stupidusername - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:14 PM

I’m a true Phillies fan and I really don’t agree with a lot of this (I’m not going to discuss merits of “true fan”). You’re looking way more into what Rollins does as being “lazy” and “selfish” and way less into Utley’s imperfections than you should. I love Utley as a player, but he’s not infallible, and Rollins isn’t nearly as lazy as you want to believe.

• prostock75 - Jun 24, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Yes, Rollins is as lazy as I suggested and no, I am not looking too uch into anything. Jimmy Rollins is not the same guy who a won a WS, period. He went from being a leader to a guy that dogged it at times. Not sure where the true fan part comes in to this at at all and in my defense, I did say he has been better this year. This is a guy thhough who repeatedly was bench, repeatedly refused to run ground balls out, basically told the city he was playng for himself and records. That is indefensible. No where did I say Utley was infallible, I said in no way can you compare JRolls antics to Utley, and you can’t. What can you disagree with in that

• prostock75 - Jun 24, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Stupidusername,

Ignore my response, wasn’t meant towards you, but do agree 100% with the guy you responded to

8. blovy8 - Jun 24, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Yeah, it really sucks that Rollins is trying to get hits for his team…

• spursareold - Jun 24, 2014 at 3:36 PM

For himself.

9. stupidusername - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Rollins got raked over the coals when he made it sound like he only cared about team records and didn’t care about winning. Of course, as a professional player I highly doubt he doesn’t care about winning, and breaking hits records means you’re getting hits that help the team win. But people heard him say something they could turn into that and they did just that. Either player, whether the team is winning or losing, if they want to stay and help the team win then I have no problem with that. They signed a contract to play in Philadelphia and if that’s what they want to do, you know it’s not like they forced the Phillies to sign them. I like Rollins, I like Utley, and unless someone’s offering a top 10 prospect and those guys refuse to be traded then I’m fine with them staying. For all we know no one has offered the Phillies anything for either of them, so it’s really a moot point anyway.

10. schmedley69 - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Rollins gets raked over the coals by a few load mouth radio hosts and their small group of listeners, not by a large portion of the Phillies fan base.

11. sfm073 - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Pretty big difference between the two. Rollins can’t play anymore and no fan wants to see an aging player making a ton of money refuse a trade because he wants to break records. Utley is still playing on a high level on a team where very few players are and why would a fan want to see a team get rid of their best player and a team legend? Craig quit trying to stir up controversy and implying the race card.

• chadjones27 - Jun 24, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Race card? “Comments like that got Rollins raked over the coals. Will it happen to Utley?”
      I don’t see race in that statement.

What’s it called when someone implies race into someone else’s statement that had no implication of race in the first place?

• paperlions - Jun 24, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Huh?

Rollins has been a league average hitter this year (which is good for a SS) and he’s been an above average defensive SS. A lot of teams would love to have a SS playing as well as Rollins is in 2014.

Just because he’s not as good as Utley doesn’t mean he can’t play anymore.

• clydeserra - Jun 24, 2014 at 2:36 PM

he has been almost worth his $11M contract already (1.3 fWAR) and there is no indication he won’t be worth $11M next year when his contract vests (he needs 119 plate appearances and to not end the year on the DL).

Honestly I don’t get why Phans think its such an albatross of a contract. its pretty neutral maybe even team friendly.

12. randygnyc - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Selfish pig. Think of the children!!!!!

• gloccamorra - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Which children? The ones in the front office, or the owner’s box?

13. mungman69 - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Utley hasn’t hit much in over a month. His swing “looks” lazy and his lateral movement in the field has diminished. I think that he needs some days off. It’s a looong season.

14. xmatt0926x - Jun 24, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Love the headline. Of course Utley ALSO makes it clear that he will reconsider if they blow it up. Good grief, Charlie Brown….

15. sportsfan18 - Jun 24, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Jimmy Rollins – Career 97 OPS+

Chase Utley – Career 126 OPS+

Jimmy’s OPS+ THIS season is 99 and Chase’s OPS+ THIS season is 125

I can see why folks wouldn’t mind seeing Rollins go…

I can see why folks would want Chase to stick around…

16. tmc602014 - Jun 24, 2014 at 7:08 PM

A few days ago the FOPs were commenting about the lifting of the lifetime ban, or not, and I was as always surprised by the number of defenders of the selfish, me-first, record chaser. I don’t know a lot about the Phillies but I do know that baseball isn’t only about stats. We learn to love some players through a combination of contribution, dealing with fans, public persona, etc. Here in SoCal Torii Hunter was very popular because he had a great attitude towards fans and we were sorry to see him go. Garrett Anderson had a lo0nger tenure and was a much better player most of his years in Anaheim but he looked indifferent and acted indifferent and he never got the love. That’s the difference between Utley and Rollins that I see. Two gifted athletes: one who always goes all out and at least appears to care about the image he presents, and the other who doesn’t and doesn’t.

• gmfw7 - Jun 25, 2014 at 10:22 AM

stop right there. i love chase utley, but as a phillies fan i can tell you, he’s basically an a*****e most of the time towards fans. i actually watched him one time sign a few autographs and a father with his daughter said “chase, it’s my daughter’s 12th birthday and you’re her favorite player. can you sign her jersey?”…he looked them both square in the face and walked away, reducing the young lady to a puddle of tears. phillies fans support chase because he’s better than jimmy, and because he always looks to be giving it his all. nothing to do with his off field image. for what it’s worth, he hasnt hit for over a month and dropped 3 infiled pop ups in the last two nights, so the wheels may be coming off…

17. prostock75 - Jun 24, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Craig, simply put, you have no idea what you are talking about in trying to compare the two cases. You bait Phillie fans and are actually quite good at doing so. That does not give you the ability to speak factually about anything involving them though. Chase Utley will never be killed by anyone in Philly because he plays his ass off, runs EVERY ball out as if it was game 7 of the WS and never, ever complains. Jimmy does all of that and more by noon everyday (although in fairness, he has been better this year). In the end, JImmy is all about himself

• prostock75 - Jun 24, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Jimmy has been a me first guy the last few years. It is a shame because at one time he owned the city and now, its 50/50. He is still a very good SS but I will always struggle with the fact that I feel he quit on this team the last few years. He has been an important player in the team’s run all these years but will never get the love of Chase because of his attitude. Again, he has been a much better this year but that only makes me sadder because it is the Jimmy we should have always see but didn’t

18. prostock75 - Jun 24, 2014 at 11:37 PM

and what does being a true Phillies fan have to do with what I said? Are you implying I am not because although I like Jimmy as a player, I despise the attitude he has had the last few years? Am I not a true fan because of that? From reading the comments on here, I am hardly in the minority

19. otismeanwhile - Jun 26, 2014 at 11:13 AM

oh, I love these sports columnists who write articles describing philly fans and their motivations for this or that,.and then proceed to get it all backwards and wrong. There are alot of reasons Philly fans gave Jimmy a hard time., AND it goes back alot farther than the recent comments about breaking hitting records. I guess when a “journalist” writes a story that amounts to only a few paragraphs of hearsay, theres bound to be quite alot missed. Philly fans also gave J-Rol a standing O when he got his record Mr. Calcaterra…do some history…isnt that what writers are supposed to do?

20. fshman00 - Jun 26, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Jimmy will be traded, then Chase will stay and break Rollins record for hits!!!

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5408)