Jun 24, 2014, 6:28 PM EDT
Rockies right-hander Christian Bergman told MLB.com’s Thomas Harding on Monday that his left (non-throwing) hand felt fine 72 hours after being struck by a comebacker in his Friday start against the Brewers. But an MRI has shown otherwise.
Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post reports that Bergman has been diagnosed with a broken bone near the base of his left thumb and will be sidelined for the next six weeks. Yohan Flande is going to take over his rotation spot Wednesday against the Cardinals in what will be the 28-year-old left-hander’s major league debut.
Flande will be facing Cardinals pitching prospect Marco Gonzales, also making his MLB debut.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 7
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20