Jun 24, 2014, 6:28 PM EDT
Rockies right-hander Christian Bergman told MLB.com’s Thomas Harding on Monday that his left (non-throwing) hand felt fine 72 hours after being struck by a comebacker in his Friday start against the Brewers. But an MRI has shown otherwise.
Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post reports that Bergman has been diagnosed with a broken bone near the base of his left thumb and will be sidelined for the next six weeks. Yohan Flande is going to take over his rotation spot Wednesday against the Cardinals in what will be the 28-year-old left-hander’s major league debut.
Flande will be facing Cardinals pitching prospect Marco Gonzales, also making his MLB debut.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 34
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)