Jun 24, 2014, 6:28 PM EST
Rockies right-hander Christian Bergman told MLB.com’s Thomas Harding on Monday that his left (non-throwing) hand felt fine 72 hours after being struck by a comebacker in his Friday start against the Brewers. But an MRI has shown otherwise.
Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post reports that Bergman has been diagnosed with a broken bone near the base of his left thumb and will be sidelined for the next six weeks. Yohan Flande is going to take over his rotation spot Wednesday against the Cardinals in what will be the 28-year-old left-hander’s major league debut.
Flande will be facing Cardinals pitching prospect Marco Gonzales, also making his MLB debut.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)