Jun 24, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT
Stuhlbarg reports that Belt has no issues gripping a bat to hit, but gripping a baseball to make throws from first base is still giving him problems. Despite that he could be cleared to begin a minor-league rehab assignment later this week.
He was initially expected to miss around six weeks, but a July 4 return would mean missing a total of eight weeks. Belt hit .264 with nine homers and an .820 OPS in 35 games before the injury, showing more power than usual while providing what has become his standard overall production.
In his absence Michael Morse shifted from the outfield to first base and has hit .330 with five homers and a .931 OPS in 29 starts there. Morse will move back to left field when Belt returns, likely pushing Tyler Colvin and Gregor Blanco to the bench while giving San Francisco’s lineup a nice boost.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 17
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 10
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)